Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Design layout problem

Design layout problem

Hello....I am currently using ACT! 6.... I have 4 different databases within my act ( all under different file names)...Whenever i click on one of the databases the design of my layout is completely different...when i fix this database and then click on another database the next database is messed up as well....and when i fix this one the other database that i just fixed is then messed up as well....  VERY FRUSTRATING

CREE 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Design layout problem

Save the changes as a new layout, you keep changing the same layout.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

design layout problems

[ Edited ]

I have already created 4 databases and am have a problem with the design layouts...whenever I click on one of the databases it is all messed up...then when I fix it and save it..it is fine untill I open anther database up and fix this one...then the other one is then messed up.....I understand that you need to save each as a different layout but how do you match the databases with each layout that I want?  .......is there a way to have all the databases have the same customized layout that I have created? Is there an aply all buttom somewhere?

Help is greatly appreciated

CREE 

{post moved from separate thread to consolidate info}

Message Edited by tashina on 07-12-2008 09:04 AM
Copper Contributor

Please help! RE: design layout problems

[ Edited ]

What about having 2 different databases, which I need to have 2 different layouts, bg images, etc. On the same computer?

I have the 2 databases working but when I change the bg image, or layout on either and then shut it down and then start up the other database, it changed also. So changing things for 1 of the databases also changes the same things for the other database????? I guess the ACT program is looking in the same place for the same files as the other, regardless of which db is starting. Shouldn't each new database be able to have its own layout and bg image for the fields window as well as sync settings?

Also, is it possible to have 2 separate installs of ACT v6 on the same computer to eliminate this layout, sync and bg problem? Or even be able to have both up and running at the same time?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Note: both of my dbs are located in different shared folders

Message Edited by tonyGTO on 10-16-2008 01:52 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Please help! RE: design layout problems

I though you were working with ACT! 6, You keep editing the same layout file. The layouts in ACT! 6 were not database specific but were shared by all the databases. When you modify the layout you need to save it with a different name.

No, you can't have two installs of ACT! on the same computer. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I am working with ACT v6., and I did save the 2 different layouts with different file names with each db, in different folders.

So there is no way to have 2 different databases on the same computer with their own setups? What if you have 2 companies, and the 2 setups have to be different? Out of luck?

Anyone with a workaround for this problem, please let me know, ok?

Thanks in advance!

About the only workaround would be to create a virtual machine on the same computer and install ACT! the second time there. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your help Roy.

Is anyone out there selling ACT! v7, 5 user pack, or ACT! 2009, 5 user pack. If you have this and are not using it, I will pay CASH for it! Email me!

This might help for ACT! 6: http://www.tnhg.com/prod/download/LayoutManager.html

Or, I have some unopened ACT! v8 6-Packs that I might be able to do at a reduced price.