Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleted contacts

Deleted contacts

To Anyone who can help,

I mistakingly deleted all my contacts while tagging/untagging them in "view contact list".  The names now appear under my record as deleted.  Is there a way to restore them with Notes and History intact?  Please help.

Thank You in advance. 

Tony_S

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Deleted contacts

Import from backup is your only option if you are running v7 onwards.

Tom

What about v. 4.0 ?

Thanks!

Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately I only got into the ACT! game at v5 but you may be able to restore them using actdiag if you haven't run any database maintenance.  Click Start -> Run -> ActDiag -> OK.  If you are lucky you may be ably to use Options -> Undelete records although I'm not certain that functionality will be there.... Bakup your database before doing this or any other maintenance.

Tom

Nickel Elite Contributor

If you have not run database maintenance you can recover the contact record with the ACTDIAG utility (Start| Run |type ACTDIAG | click OK). However, the notes and history are gone forever unless you've a recent backup.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Roy, was that an option in 4.0? I seem to remember it starting in 5.0... but should still be possible for a tech to do it manually.

Tony... BACKUP NOW. Before you do anything else. Then a tech can try fixes and can go back if necessary 

Nickel Elite Contributor

My memory is that ACTWIN2 and ACT! 3 both required sending the database to repair and that ACT! 4 added the undelete to the ACTDIAG. The surprise came when database maintenance and not been done for a long time, they got back more contacts than they expected. As you and I both know, frequent and consistent backups are the only protection.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Just checked. It was in 3.0 also according to this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3h4vg5

But I think the big issues was sometimes restoring the Notes/Histories not attached to correct contacts

Nickel Elite Contributor

No, the notes and history were toast. When you did the undelete you would get back the date of the note and the date and type for the history but the results and details were gone because they were stored in the BLB file and the delete broke any connection fromt he note or history to the BLB.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com