Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Convert from Act3 to Act6 to Act17

Copper Super Contributor

Convert from Act3 to Act6 to Act17

Hello,

We are conscidering upgrading to the lastest Act. We come from Act3, A representative recommended that we should first convert our database to Act6.

Problem, in Act6, our database runs very slow. It takes between 5 and 10 seconds to load the history and the program is not responding if we navigate to the next contacts too fast. We try to import it then in Act17, it is evem worse... From what I read on several post, there is some sort of performance issues quite known,,,

We strictly followed the procedure here.

We compressed and reindexed the Act3 DB. We imported in Act6 and ran scan an repair. Seems like it is not enough.

I don't believe it is because of computer requirements. I have:

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

RAM 8 GB

Processor 3.5GHz

Storage Drive Solid State Drive

What is the next step for us to fix this issue?

Thank you all

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Convert from Act3 to Act6 to Act17

I would definitely contact an Act! Certified Consultant to help you through the process.  I suspect that you have links to nonexistent documents in your history.  That was what caused the performance issues with Act! 6.  Your best bet would be to get rid of those links prior to attempting the upgrade.  There is a tool available to do it but it would be much simpler for you to get someone who is familiar with the process to do it for you.  They can probably make some recommendations on how you might customize the new version of Act! to make it more useful to you.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Super Contributor

Hi Wellmet,

Thanks for your input.

I agree with you regarding the potential issue. I also tried a query in MS Access. I converted the .hbd to .dbf file and link the contacts table to the history table. I notice over 110,000 records with no contact associated.

You mentioned that there is a tool, could you please give more details about it? I would like to try it before I get in touch with a consultant. We have already been told that they could do this for us, but this would cost us money. When we are about to purchase new licenses (around ten of them), I would expect that step to be included in our final price... So we are trying to do it ourself.

Thank you

Gregory

Silver Super Contributor

Gregory,

This is the tool I was telling you about.

http://www.cornerstonesolutions.com/redflag.html

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Copper Super Contributor

Stan,

Thank you for the link. From what I read, we tried to work on attachements more or less in the same way.

We opened the history table in Access and emptied the column "Attachements" thinking that would clear the bad links. We don't mind to loose all the attachements in our DB. This did not do the trick it seems...

We also deleted the history table in Act6 DB folder. It created automatically a new one and everything was smooth after that. So clearly our problem starts at the history table point. We suspect we should also clean the "blb file". Do you know if there is a way to open the blb file to remove what would be "dead" data.

Thanks for the tool. I am afraid it is not going to work for us for some reasons. After you used it in your case, did it solve your issue or did you have other steps to do?

Gregory

Platinum Elite Contributor

Frankly my choice would be, given the age of the database, to send the database to a repair service that Techbenders and some other ACCs have available. There is a cost but you would end up with a clean and converted database ready to use.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

I don't understand why this feel like an obligation. If Act1 wants to keep selling licenses, why don't they offer these tools directly?

At this point it is easy to go to another CRM who offers a much better support. I regret that Act! has made the technical support this way.

Silver Super Contributor

Gegory,

I've used the tool from time to time over the years to help clean up old Act! data before upgrading my clients to the new version of Act!.  It makes the cleanup much simpler.  As Roy has pointed out you can send them your database and they can clean it up for you.  They've done a lot more conversions of old Act! databases than I have so that's probably a simpler way to go.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! 3-6 database structure was prone to internal damage and would typically continue to work unless you happened to hit on something directly connected to the corruption. The earlier ACT! program structure didn't protect against operations that could cause database  damage. Often the problems wouldn't show up until the database was converted to a later version.

The ACTdiag will correct some of the damage and the tool Stan refers to will also clear some of the other problems and it may get your database to convert. I don't do database repair, it's a speciality in itself but I know the person that does our repairs and I know that in some cases she has to use a hex editor to correct some of the problems.

Personally, if it was my database and knowing it's history, I would want it to be pristine going forward.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

We were finally able to open the Act 17 database newly imported in SSMS. From here when we delete all the history, it is working like it supposed to. We are going to trim our data removing old stuffs and non relevant records. 

This added to some database maintenance tool and we should be good to go. We also acquired the Red Flad add on which highlighted some problems too that we will fix.

Thanks for your guidance all.

Gregory