Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can you maintain an "active" and "inactive database in ACT?

Can you maintain an "active" and "inactive database in ACT?

We are a small non-profit and have been using ACT for a few years.  We have built a database of over 4,000 client records.  However, many of the records are for clients whom have left a company, passed away, etc. and are no longer an "active contact" for the company record.  However, we don't like to delete any records or histories.  I would like to be able to have these records out of the way of my active database.  Is there a way to create an "inactive" database where I can park these records should they ever be needed, - and clean up my database?  I am not interested in just creating an "inactive" group.  This still leaves too many inactive records per company in the system that we do not need to see (but we still want to maintain the data that was associated with the record - if the postion has been refilled we will often just replace the name over the record and type the old contacts info in the history.  However, not all positions are refilled and some records just remain inactive/dead.

Is maintaining both active and old/inactive databases a feature that can be done?    How are you maintaining "active" client records vs. "old clients" for your company?  There must be a better way to keep the system "clean" with current clientelle.

Thank you.

Tina   

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can you maintain an "active" and "inactive database in ACT?

One thng you can do is save an empty copy of your database (File | Save Copy As) and then export the inactive records to the copy. If you have more than one user and want to preserve the user information, you will need to export the user My records first and make them users in the ner database before doing the export from you current database. After you have verified the export you can delete the inactive contacts from your active database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

Create a "dummy user" called Inactive records, log in to the database as that user and make private all the records that you wish to archive. They will only be visable when you log in as that user.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

While that suggestion will work it's a solution I wouldn't recommend. Making records private doesn't remove their impoact on the database. Because the ACT! 6 database performance declined in direct proportion to the total number of records (contact, group, note/history, activity and opportunity) I would recommend a separate inactive database rather than hiding them in the main database by making them private.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129