Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can you have more than one ACT database open at the same time?

Can you have more than one ACT database open at the same time?

We are thinking of implementing a new process for call follow-ups and want to use the 'schedule a call' feature in ACT. However, these customers are totally separate from our big ACT customer db. We want to set up a second db for this process but some people will need to have both databases available at the same time.

Do you know of any problem associated with having ACT open on the desktop two times, pointing to two different databases? Is that even possible, and if so, are there any issues we should be aware of?

Thanks very much for any info.

Joni

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can you have more than one ACT database open at the same time?

It's not possible.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

There are very few legitimate reasons to have more than one database in most companies.  Usually the desire to do so creates many more problems than it's worth and it's much easier to have a single database and differentiate the contacts with groups, lookups, and limited access features in ACT.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks, Roy. Is there any way at all to do this? What if the second instance of ACT resided on a different server? Could they have ACT on the desktop two times, with one pointing to one db and the other to a separate db? I'm guessing that again, the answer is no but any suggestions?

thanks

Joni

Not with ACT! 6. The limit of one database open continues with the later versions of the ACT! program. However in the later versions of the ACT! program it is possible to have access to more than one database at the same time through the use of ACT! for the WEB. In fact I do support work with the ACT! instance installed on my local system and I also have our business database which is hosted on a remote server open at the same time via ACT! for the WEB. Contact me if you want more information.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Actually do it all of the time with Act 6.03

You need the following:

Another pc with Act installed on it that you can remote in to.

Thin client application (WinConnect Server XP) to allow multi user Remote desktop connections (allows concurrent 5 users - $300)

Keep the remote app open in a window - use regular Act from your own pc.

You can also do this if you have a virtual machine installed. You can have ACT! open on both your main machine and the virtual instance...each with a different database open.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.