Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't restore v6 backup to v9 on new computer...

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Can't restore v6 backup to v9 on new computer...

I did an ACT V6 backup on my old computer, saving the file to a removeable "stick" drive.  I then put the "stick" drive into the new computer I'll be using from now on, and from the new V9 ACT which I installed on the new computer, I performed a restore--accessing that "stick" drive.  It seemed to be going well for a few seconds, and then I got a small window warning stating that no ACT backup files were found.  I tried this twice.  To my knowledge, I performed all the steps correctly both on the old computer (backup) and the new (restore).   Doing what I did was supposed to work.  If you have an answer, I'd appreciate the help.  I wouldn't like to have to manually enter all the previous entries... I'm eager to get rid of the old computer asap.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author SMH0310
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't restore v6 backup to v9 on new computer...

1. Yes. The restore is for SQL database. To conver the 6.0 database, you nee need to unzip it to a folder and just tell 9.0 to open it.

2. It leaves the 6.0 database where it is. It creates a new SQL database and  converts the data.

The new database will only be 9.0

If you have attached files in 6.0 that you want to bring in, they must be in the same path they were.

Read  this ACT! Knowledge Base article all the way to the end -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1923...

View solution in original post

All Replies

You need to manually extract the ACT! 6.0 ZIp file to a folder and tell ACT! to File | Open and select ACT! 6.0 as the file type

Thanks very much, Mike, for taking the time to respond.  Forgive me if I'm missing something.  May I ask a few questions to clarify things?

1)  "manually extract the ACT! 6.0 Zip file..."

Do you mean that I should unzip that backup file to a folder rather than letting ACT! V9 try to unzip it?

I noticed that in the restore process, the only file type ACT! Version 6.0 asked for was zip.  Previously, I had found all the contact files and saved them

to a folder, but then, since ACT! v9 only asked for zip files in the restore process, I was stopped at that point.

2)  "tell ACT! to File | Open and select ACT! 6.0 as the file type."

First of all, if you tell me that's an option, then I've learned something I didn't know was possible.  Assuming that's possible, the next question I

have is this:

Once that version 6.0 data is recognized and imported into the new version 9, will it somehow then become or be useable as Version 9? 

That is, will I be able to use that data as version 9 or will I be somehow hamstrung in being forced to use it as Version 6?  Can I now add

new data to the same database in version 9 and go on from here with complete version 9 functionality? 

Thanks..

Solution
Accepted by topic author SMH0310
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

1. Yes. The restore is for SQL database. To conver the 6.0 database, you nee need to unzip it to a folder and just tell 9.0 to open it.

2. It leaves the 6.0 database where it is. It creates a new SQL database and  converts the data.

The new database will only be 9.0

If you have attached files in 6.0 that you want to bring in, they must be in the same path they were.

Read  this ACT! Knowledge Base article all the way to the end -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1923...

Smiley Very Happy

Mike!  Thank you!!  My version 6 database has been raised from the dead!  We're now operating in the new dimensions of Version 9!  SOLVED!