Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open Database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Can't open Database

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am using Act version 6.03.979 and I can't open my database and the ACT shuts down.  I can open the Act demo database. I tried ActDiag and removing indexes so that they rebuild but I get the following dialog box:

ACT! 6.0 Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The error Signature is:

AppName: act.exe  AppVer: 6.0.3.979  ModName: mfc42.dll
ModVer: 6.2.4131.0  Offset: 00004977

I am using WinXP.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jimaes
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Can't open Database

I found my answer in another post. Thanks Patricia Egen!!

The post is as follows:

Wanted to post what we did last week to fix a broken ACT 6.0 db.  It's been so long that I bet a bunch of people have forgotten this trick.  Sage support couldn't fix it either so they should know this as well.

Scenario - ACT 6.0 database won't open - closes immediately upon open.  Can't convert it either to load it into new version client purchased.  

Trick - removed .ABC and .ABU files.  ACT will rebuild them when you start it back up.  ACT 6.0 opened it and ACT 2010 could convert it as well.  Tough one to figure out because ACTDIAG scan and repair in 6.0 shows all green checks.  I almost forgot about this trick as well but stumbled on it reading back thru previous trouble tickets.  

Doesn't fix all the ACT 6.0 errors but works enough times to be worth trying.

FWIW....

Patricia Egen
Act Certified Consultant
Patricia Egen Consulting
Chattanooga, TN

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jimaes
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I found my answer in another post. Thanks Patricia Egen!!

The post is as follows:

Wanted to post what we did last week to fix a broken ACT 6.0 db.  It's been so long that I bet a bunch of people have forgotten this trick.  Sage support couldn't fix it either so they should know this as well.

Scenario - ACT 6.0 database won't open - closes immediately upon open.  Can't convert it either to load it into new version client purchased.  

Trick - removed .ABC and .ABU files.  ACT will rebuild them when you start it back up.  ACT 6.0 opened it and ACT 2010 could convert it as well.  Tough one to figure out because ACTDIAG scan and repair in 6.0 shows all green checks.  I almost forgot about this trick as well but stumbled on it reading back thru previous trouble tickets.  

Doesn't fix all the ACT 6.0 errors but works enough times to be worth trying.

FWIW....

Patricia Egen
Act Certified Consultant
Patricia Egen Consulting
Chattanooga, TN

hello!

sorry hope you don't mind me contacting you, but i couldn't seem to find my answer and thought you might be able to help.

i am trying to remove the index files in actdiag, as instructed for the problem we have.

however when i open actdiag, it doesn't show any options for deleting these files.

are you able to help?

thanks Smiley Happy