Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't open Database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Can't open Database

ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 1
English (United Kingdom)

You do not have permission to open this database.

Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission.

How do I solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author MountainWarrior
4 weeks ago
Administrator

Re: Can't open Database

You should just be able to drag-and-drop the folder from the flash drive onto your desktop, thereby transferring it to your hard drive.

I'm going to move this thread into the " Act v6 and below " board, just so it gets the correct visibility! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Employee

Hello,

Please try:

21376 Error: "You Don't Have Permission To Open This File. Contact The File Owner Or The Administrator To Obtain Permission." Attempting to Open or Restore a Sage ACT! Database

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21376/kw/You%20do%20not%20have%20permission%20to%20open%20...

I have managed to access and open my database by disabling the user control function in Windows 7 as you advised me. How do I avoid this problem happening again?

Also I have an old ACT database from a previous version of act which I would like to move across. Can you please point me in the right direction?
Administrator

If you've disabled User Account Control hopefully this won't happen again - it tends to be this function that interferes with permissions.

Fingers crossed you shouldn't need to do anything else.

With regards to the older version of Act! you should be able to open this up in the new version simply by backing it up, moving the backup file to the new machine then going File > Restore > Database... > Restore As... and the database should be upgraded automatically.

[ Edited ]
I backed up the old database on a flashdrive about 7 years ago and it is is showing as a zip file there. Do I have to get it on to the computer as a file first? The old version of Act is 2007 and I still have the original disc.
Platinum Elite Contributor

The main problem would be that ACT! 2007 used a very early version of the MSSQL. You referred to using ACT! 2010 in an earlier post and you should be able to do a Restore As of the backup file directly from the flash drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am getting this message The file you are attempting to restore does not contant an ACT! backup. It is a zip file and I can see contacts in ut that I am looking for?
Administrator

Can you clarify what you mean by 'see the contacts' in the zip file?

An Act! backup file is a .zip - there's usually no need to unpack the zip file, just point Act to the zip during the restore process. The format of a backup has remained unchanged since Act v7 which was 2005.

When I point the cursor at the zip file a box opens up with a list of files that are in there. I am sending you a couple of photos

Did you get photos as an attachment?