Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Can't open Database

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't open Database

There no photos attached. From you description I see two possibilities: the zip file contains and ACT! 6 database or someone used a zip utility to backup the ACT! 2007 files rather than the backup from the ACT! program. A quick check for an ACT! 6 backup is to open the zip file and see if you have approximately 26 files with the database name. If it's an ACT! 6 you can up-pack the zip file and open the database with ACT! 2010 to convert the database. If it's not an ACT! 6 database then check for a file with the extension ADB. If it's not present then you don't have a useful backup. The ADB file would be your actual database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

It can confuse people that ACT backup is a zip file but not a normal one.

ACT can only open the backup zip using restore.

Is the message you are getting when you use the ACT restore option?

Correct option is open ACT - File - Restore - 2nd option = Restore as - and give the database a new name.

I have another file on the flashdrive which is a ADB file about 1 KB and that has about 20 files with it on the same name with different file extension names. It may be the one I am looking for and it has a later date than the zip files. I can't seem to access it through ACT as it is on the flash drive I don't have an option to pick it up from there.

Check also to see if you have an ADF file on the flash drive. If so copy the ADB and ADF to the same folder on the hard drive and try opening the ADB there. An ACT!2006 database can't be run from a removable drive, it must be on a system drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

How do I copy them from the flash drive to the hard drive? What about all the other files associated with them?
Solution
Accepted by topic author MountainWarrior
a month ago
Administrator

You should just be able to drag-and-drop the folder from the flash drive onto your desktop, thereby transferring it to your hard drive.

I'm going to move this thread into the " Act v6 and below " board, just so it gets the correct visibility! Smiley Happy

These are the files I have adb, abx, blb, dbf, ddb, ddf, ddx, edb, edx,gdb, gdx, hdb, hdx, lck, mdx, rel, rex, sdb, sdx, tdb and tdx. What di you think?

Those are the files fo an ACT! 6 database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
When I try to move these files to my hard dive I get an error message windows explorer is restarting. Is there anyway to get round this?