Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't attach an .XLS Excel file to ACT 6

Can't attach an .XLS Excel file to ACT 6

I have ACT 6.0.3.939 on 2 different computers and I can attach Excel files on one computer but not the other.  The file option for .XLS files is missing on the 2nd PC.  I can attach PDFs to both but not the Excel files on one.  I've looked at the settings and they seem to be the same for both systems.

Please help.

Thanks,

Rob 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't attach an .XLS Excel file to ACT 6

Do both machines have the same version of Excel installed? Can you use Word as the Word processor for ACT! on both machines?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, both machines have Office 2003 and Word is the word processor on both systems and I verified they are the same versions and have the same updates.  Email works fine on both systems too via Outlook.  
Copper Super Contributor

You might want to check that the .XLS extension is correctly matched to Excel, and hasn't been hi-jacked or corrupted.

In Windows Explorer, select: 

Tools > Folder Options > File Types 

then find the .XLS entry, and ensure it is set to Excel.  (Actually, I'd compare it to the other computer, and ensure they're set the same). 

If that doesn't work - can you report on what icon you see in Windows for Excel documents? 

Also, what happens if you try to just drag-and-drop an Excel document from windows explorer to the Notes/History tab of Act?

Luis

The .XLS files are associated with Excel and the Excel Icon shows for the files.  This is the same on both computers.  I can drag an XLS file into the notes and it will attach but I use the Library feature and that is where I can't select the Excel files so I end up converting everything to PDFs and putting them in the Library that way.

Does the order of the installation make a difference? ACT and Office?  Maybe I installed Act prior to Excel on the 2nd system.  Not sure if that'd make a difference and it's been too long to remember the install order for both systems 

Thanks,

Rob