Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Business is Act 6....help

Business is Act 6....help

Hi, we bought ACT 6 about 6 years ago. My wife uses it in her business every day. Basically her business is that database. Unfortunatley the computer itself is starting to show its age and I don't think it is going to last much longer. We tried to back it up once before but it didn't work with Act 8.

We are now both really worried. We need to know how to extract Act 6 from the currect PC and move everything on to a new machine with out loosing any data.

We lost the box with the serial number long long ago.

Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Business is Act 6....help

You should be able to use the backup in the ACT! program ( File | Backup ). However you can't do that directly to a CD. You need to first do the backup to the local hard drive and then burn to the CD. The alternate would be to backup to a flash drive.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Elite Contributor

You will need the serial number for ACT! 6 to install it on the new PC ... or upgrade it to ACT! 2011

Thanks for the help.

Got a feeling that we may have to upgrade as neither of us can remember what happened to the disk let alone the the serial number. (relocated to the other side of the country 18 months ago)

Go out to Kim Komando,s site and look under down loads she has a free program that will go out and find your serial numbers that you can then record.

I run Windows 7 64bit Home Premium and ACT seems to work fine. However another solution that will work that I have tried  was  loading Windows Parallels and then loading and running my copy of Windows XP Pro ACT ran like a champ. If you are not familiar with Parallels it allows you to run different  operating systems your  on  machine. The program made a name for itself allowing people to run Windows on there MAC systems.    Windows ran better on my Mac than it did on any of my Windows machines and by the way the whole time I ran ACT.

As for backing up have you tried simply doing a "Save Copy as"?