Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Attachment icons

Attachment icons

I have Act 6.0 multi-user version. The databases are stored on a server, and all workstations can access them. We use the basic Windows XP networking system. When I add a new workstation computer and connect it to the network, documents that are attached in the Notes/History section show up as live icons on that computer, but not on other computers. Also live icons on the other computers do not show up as live icons on the new computer. All information, however, is visible on all computers. I think it is a path issue. How do I make all attachment icons live on all computers.

By "live", I mean the document opens if you click on it.

Thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Attachment icons

Whie the database itself is shared it sounds like the attachments are being stored locally on each workstation. This was very typical with ACT! 6. Moving the attachments to the server would be a significant task requireing modifications to each workstation, moving the attachments to the server and then updating the attachment shortcut information so the attachments would be available.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Actually all the attachments are stored on the server in one folder. They are not stored on each individual computer.

But the term you used "updating the attachment shortcut information" I think is what I am trying to do. How do I do that?

Platinum Elite Contributor

One at a time. There was a utility a long time ago for that. An ACC might still have it available.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129