Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Adding a sort-able field in ACT 6.0

Adding a sort-able field in ACT 6.0

How do I add a sort-able field to ACT 6.0?

I need this field to be sort-able, so I can sort our contacts into different groups according to the projects they are involved in within our company. I need our contacts to have the ability to be in more than one group simultaneously. 

I have tried to use the "Design Layouts" feature under "Tools" in the toolbar, but this did not work. Please let me know if there are any ways to do this.

Silver Contributor

Re: Adding a sort-able field in ACT 6.0

I believe any field can be sorted in the contact list. But it seems like what you are looking for is a multi select drop down. This feature was added in newer versions of ACT.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I think you're right... I am looking for a field that I can fill with criteria (project names) so I can assign contacts to these groups. So this is not possible in ACT! 6.0?

It might also be called a "key word" field, used to seperate contacts by this key word (or project name).

Platinum Elite Contributor

No. Two features of the current version of  the ACT! program would be helpful for you. Multiselect dropdowns and dynamic groups where the group membershi is define by an advanced query.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

do you know anything about getting the newer version of ACT?

should we update, can we import our contacts from the older version of ACT to the newer version?

how much does it cost? what are some other advantages and new features of the newer version?

Please send a private message or contact me direct.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Actually, you can have multi-select drop downs and dynamic groups in ACT! 6.0

Do you know where I can find instructions on how to create multi-select drop downs and dynamic groups?

As I remember all dropdowns were a form of multi-select, you simply used the Ctrl key to select more than one dropdown entry.

There wasn't any true dynamic groups. What was available was an ability to update group membership according to a lookup query that you attached to the group. The membership was only updated when you specified that ACT! should update group membership, not every time the group was accessed. Also as I remember the updating was only one way, it added new contacts to the group but didn't remove contacts that no longer qualified for group membership.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129