Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act for Palm OS V1.0 Install Fail - No Act

Act for Palm OS V1.0 Install Fail - No Act

I was attempting to move all of my Act data to a new PC. Installed Act! 6.0 without any problems. Copied all of the Database files and lauched Act without any problems. Installed Palm Desktop and Sync V4.1.0, also without any problems. At the begining of the installation of Act for Palm OS V1.0, I received the message that Act was not installed and was retruned to the CD menu. I am running  Windows XP SP2, with the Office 2003 Suite (Service Pack 3). Any workarounds or suggestions as to why The Act for Palm OS install can't find the fact that Act is actually installed ??

Thanks.

Re: Act for Palm OS V1.0 Install Fail - No Act

I sure do wish you had gotten an answer to your problem, as I am having the exact same problem.

Installed ACT! 6.0 on a new PC , smooth install, rebooted.  Downloaded latest Palm Desktop/Hotsync Manager from ACT website , installed smoothly, rebooted again just to clean things up.  Tried to Install ACT! For Palm OS software from the same disk the ACT! 6.0 is on ... get the error message "ACT is not installed on your machine".

Running XP Pro SP2 on a Pentium 4 machine with 2GBDDRAM.

Does anyone know how to get around this erroneous error message?

Thanks!

jonesie

Platinum Elite Contributor

My guess is that you are using Norton antivirus or system works. If so the fix is to uninstall both ACT! 6 and Norton, restart the computer and then reinstall ACT! first and open ACT! 6 at least once and then reinstall Norton. Norton now blocks registry keys critical to the full installation of ACT! 6. If ACT! 6 is install first, everything should work.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, thanks, and I think you are exactly right.  I had just found this page

http://tinyurl.com/68zpb2

which says exactly that.  That is JUST like Symantec, I had to do something like that before on another machine, VERY aggravating.  The problem is that there is a simple key missing (blocked by Symantec I'm sure) and Norton won't let me edit that section of the registry to add a simple new string value.

Is there really no workaround for that?  Uninstalling and reinstalling Norton Internet Security isn't the easiest thing, and since I've got a 3-computer NIS disk and have used it on 3 .... I can just picture trying to activate it and Norton saying "already activated it 3 times".  Aaaargh!

Thanks again.  Was wishing for a miracle here!

"

Answer 

There are two known reasons for these errors. Either Norton AntiVirus (NAV) 2006 has been installed and is locking down the Symantec Windows registry locations needed to install the software or a key is missing from the Windows registry.

Norton AntiVirus 2006
If you are using Norton AntiVirus 2006, you may be able to work around this issue by uninstalling NAV 2006, installing the ACT! software, and then, reinstalling NAV 2006. Please contact Symantec Support for additional information.

Platinum Elite Contributor

That's one of the reasons I removed Norton from my system about three years ago and I now use AVG antivirus from Grisoft.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You know, I told myself to do that a couple of years ago when I had a similar issue and had to uninstall/reinstall the entire NIS suite because Symantec was causing a problem to another program.  Oh well, I will probably do what you did soon!

Thanks again for the input.  I'm next up in a Symantec technical support 'chat queue' and I'm going to push for an alternate method of being allowed to edit my own registry the way I need to Smiley Happy

jonesie