Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act Email Recipient Seeing Chinese Characters (symbols) in email. Happens sporadically.

Act Email Recipient Seeing Chinese Characters (symbols) in email. Happens sporadically.

Good Afternoon.  I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an issue my VP of Sales started experiencing in the last month when sending emails via Act.  He is using Act 6.0. 

He sent me an email today that one of his recipients received.  The body definitely looked like Chinese.  However, it just appears that it is random symbols.  The problem is random and happens to various recipients.  There is no pattern.  We use GroupWise for our normal E-Mail client.

Has anyone run into this issue?  Please let me know if you require further information.  His OS is XP running SP3.  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act Email Recipient Seeing Chinese Characters (symbols) in email. Happens sporadically.

It's related to the size of the email, it happens with very large emails. There wasn't a fix until about ACT! 2008.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Act Email Recipient Seeing Chinese Characters (symbols) in email. Happens sporadically.

Thank you for the fast response!  How large do the emails have to be to be affected?  I don't think we're planning on upgrading anytime too soon, unfortunately.  Thanks again for your help!

I can't remember if it was 1K or 10K characters, I think it was the latter.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Wow, those are small emails then.   I wonder why it just started to occur in the last month, though.  We haven't changed anything.   Any thoughts on that?  I really appreciate your assistance.  My VP will ask a lot of questions so I'm trying to be proactive.  Thanks!

I think Roy is referring to a different issue that put these characters in the ACT! history with ACT! 7.0 and later - if it was >32K and sent from Outlook. The emails themself were ok. ACT! 6.0 would truncate the history at about 29,000 characters, but again the emails would be ok

Maybe try this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1344...

If not, how are you sending - Internet Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express?

New email or template?

If he sends the same email again to the same person, is it then ok? how about the same email to another person?

GLComputing wrote:

I think Roy is referring to a different issue that put these characters in the ACT! history with ACT! 7.0 and later - if it was >32K and sent from Outlook. The emails themself were ok. ACT! 6.0 would truncate the history at about 29,000 characters, but again the emails would be ok

Actually Mike, I was referring to the same issue. While the outward appearance of the ACT! email client didn't really change between ACT! 5 and 6, the program itself did change dramatically. In tech support we were told that the ACT! email client in ACT! 6 was actually the basic client that was going to be used in ACT! 7. Because the message size problem was identified with ACT! 7 and later, I made the assumption that it was related to the email client program which in ACT! 6 was the same basic program as was used in ACT! 7.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks again for all assistance.  The end user is not doing a mail merge, and he is using Pop3.  As far as I know they are very simple emails.  He has not tried to resend them as far as I know.

Thanks.

Unfortunately eberlyd, this is an issue that would take quite a bit more information and testing to resolve.

Does it happen all the time, some times, to multiple receipients?

What are the exact steps used in sending the emails? ACT! would still use a template (emailbody) depending on how the email is sent.

Copper Contributor

This is happening to one of my employees, also. She is operating with ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups 2007 (9.0) (EX Edition) Version 9.0.1.162 (no hotfix) using Outlook (Office 2003) with ACT! and XP. She is the only one who seems to have this problem and it is sporadic.

Has anyone figured this out yet?

Thanks!