Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6 vs 2009 or 2010

Act 6 vs 2009 or 2010

Hi.  I have used ACT since it was a DOS product back in 1990!!  I currently use Act 6 in a very basic manner.  I don't use groups (although I probably should.  I just haven't found a good tutorial for them.), emails, sales leads, etc.  Is there any advantage to upgrading to 2009 or 2010?  This is working fine with Windows 7.
Bronze Contributor

Re: Act 6 vs 2009 or 2010

That's a hard one - I could argue either side of that.  On the one hand, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?  On the other hand, the long term reliability of those v3/4/5/6 databases is questionable - some might say it's only a matter of time before the database refuses to open one day and then you'll have to seek out and pay one of the few.  I would suggest you keep backups - not just one, but daily, weekly, monthly backups.  There are many motivators to upgrade like compatibility with operating systems and Microsoft Office versions and Outlook versions.  There are other motivators like E-Marketing, better database reliability, fast, fast lookups.  But in the end, if you're basically using it as a rolodex, what do all of the new features matter?  I know I'm not giving you a definitive do/don't upgrade answer, but in the end it's up to you.  It shouldn't influence you, but I am running ACT! 2010 and I could never go back 1,2,3,4 or more versions - I've become so used to the functionality, the ease, the quick lookups.  Good luck in your decision.
Signature

Thanks for your info.  I do use it as a contact manager, scheduling calls, meetings and to-dos and keeping histories and notes.  I back up DAILY!!!  And I do it on a separate SD card as well.  I've had drives crash.  Is there anywhere I can see a comparison of the 3 versions to make an intelligent decision?  Thanks again.
Bronze Contributor

(I thought I had responded yesterday but don't see my post, so here it is again)

http://download.act.com/act2010/docs/act!_2010_version_comparison_chart.pdf

Is a link to an easy-to-understand version comparison document that begins with version 6 and continues right through version 12 (ACT! 2010) and you can see what feature or functionality was introduced in what version.  Take ACT! 2009 out of the mix - ACT! 2010 is a superior superset to 2009.

Signature

THANKS!!!  That's just what I needed!

Features missing from this table:

1. Syncing options with a hand held device.

2. Email or online syncing of 2 databases.