Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6 on W7 macros, addons, networking etc

Copper Contributor

Act 6 on W7 macros, addons, networking etc

[ Edited ]
Hi

After 14 years still using Act v 6 I manged to install via the setup.exe method and it is absolutely flying on a Dell 3020 i5 8 gb RAM ssd drive
Crystall reports gives report in 3 seconds on 18k contacts!

Just four questions please if anyone can help

1/ can any get the *.mpr macros working on a Dell keyboard W7 64 bit? and why doesn't it work?

2/ we use the brilliant Contant list Designer but on double click the .exe file it gives the 16 bit error any idea how to solve this as the company are really helpful but Jeff Blood the gentleman who wrote the program has sadly passed away.

3/ has anyone yet found the file that stores the Tools / customise Act contact window info as After all these years I'd love to know where that info is stored.

4/ I'm guessing compress and reindex is fine on a SSD drive, it does work but it wont damage the drive is my query?

thanks in advance
Nigel

ps

Has anyone sucessfully got two pcs/laptops connected in W7 with Act v6 together reading one *.dbf ie networked?

All macros and addons working on imac 2015 in Yosemite 10 and parralels in xp
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 6 on W7 macros, addons, networking etc

1. The ACT! macros required operating system support which Microsoft dropped sometime back.

2.Another ACC took over Jeff's utilities but I don't remember who and I don't know if support is available.

3. That information is stored in the Windows registry.

6.My biggest concern is possible damage to the database 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thank Roy appreciate your reply

Yes CLD is held by Scott at cornerstonesolutions really helpful guy but cant get it to work on W7

Would love to meet one of the original developers of Act v6 as for sure it was before its time and as long as compress/reindex snd delete index files actdiag etc runs great!

We are getting a bespoke cloud database made and Act v6 is how we want it at least as good!

cheers

Nigel
Platinum Elite Contributor

You should check out ACT! 17, it's far superior to ACT! 6. ACT! 6 was actually ACT! 3 with additional features. Because of problems with the original development of ACT! 3, by ACT! 6 the program had become effectively unmaintainable, that is, many of the internal problems couldn't be fixed without a major rewrite. That was what ACT! 2005 (V7) was. The database was moved to SQL and that was the platform for all later development.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129