Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6 into Outlook 2013 - or compatible with anything???

Act 6 into Outlook 2013 - or compatible with anything???

Because Act is STILL incompatible with Windows 7 Pro, I spent the last 2 days trying to find a solution. After finding that the only thing Act seems to be remotely compatible with, I bit the bullet and signed up for Office 365. After spending hours trying to export my contacts from Act - the database kept freezing on export - I find that Act is incompatible with Outlook 2013 anyway.  I found this out when trying to find the reason why the database kept freezing when exporting into a simple file. 

Does anyone know if Act is compatible with ANY other software, so I can export my contacts into any other contacts database so that I have my contacts on my other computers?  

Act is screwing my business beyond belief.  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 6 into Outlook 2013 - or compatible with anything???

With all due respect, you've made several inaccurate statements. ACT! 2010 and later is compatible with Windows 7 and ACT! 2013 is compatible with Windows 8. ACT! 2013 also works with Office 2013 however not with Office 365 due to the lack of a full external interface from Microsoft.

The best option for you would be to upgrade to ACT! 2013. As to exporting to another program you would need an exporter utility such as the one from http://www.jltechnical.com/exporter.htm

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I was able to get Act to communicate with an early version of Win 7 Premium after I upgraded to Win 7 Pro.  (At the time, Act tried to sell me a new version of Act (hundreds of $) before I found out about the Pro upgrade after troubleshooting with Microsoft. aCT "customer service" were nothing short of unhelpful and offensive). 

However, Act is not compatible with the later version of Win 7 Pro. I spent  a long time on the phone with a Microsoft tech, as they tried every configuration... Including but not limited to, Act's options to configure to various versions of Windows. 

The two options you have given me cost hundreds of dollars. This is unacceptable. I have already spent hundreds of dollars on this software. I wouldn't have these issues if Act had responsible updates OR let Act easily communicate with other programs. What you are proposing is that I spend more money to make the program I already feel I overpaid for, work. You are also saying that I cannot get my own contacts out of Act without paying hundreds of dollars. 

By the way, I also made 5 attemps to export Act contacts into a file, so I could import them into a friends Outlook 2010 and then retransfer to my Outlook 2013 - but act froze each time I tried to export.  

With ACT! 6 you have a 10-year old software application based on a 17-year old (ACT! 3) design. If all you want is the contact information you don't need to do an export, just import the DBF file in to an application like Excel. However if you want to get the note and history then you only have the options I provided before.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Update.

Since my earlier message, I asked ANOTHER tech for thier help. 

They have Outlook 2010 on their computer, so I send the .dbf file for them to upload onto their Outlook 2010  - which I was then going to import into my Outlook 2013/Office 365.

A huge pain, but hurrah!  If it works, I can travel with my contacts on a lighter computer!!!  Sadly, Act strikes again... it  will only transfer the data on a machine that has both programs, ACT! and Outlook.

Are you kidding me???!!

I am being kinder than the the tech, who said, "BASTARDS!!!!". With all due respect I am sure. 

The is the most expensive software on my system - yet the least compatable. Despite all this, the only fix is I pay  a lot more money??? Usually, expensive software has customer serves that HELPS their customers - not tries to sell them more things that they will not support in a year from now.

Am I missing anything?  Please please advise if I am. 

I do not want to buy more Act. I want to simply transfer my contact from Act 6 into another software so I can use my other computers for my business. 

Please forgive typos. I didn't have time to spell check.

Roy,

I wrote the previous message before I saw your reply. Regardless, we tried dbf and it doesn't fly. 

I don't know if you realize how condescending you come across. 

Be that as it may, you are telling me that my software is out of date and to buy ACT! 2013, But ACT! 2013 will not communicate with Outlook 2013 anywyay.  And I am guessing, still have the same problem - that is, when I have a problem, Act tries to sell me the fix.

I need you to do better than that.

ACT! 2013 does work with the locally installed Outlook 2013. It doesn't work with Outlook 365 because MICROSOFT HAS NOT PROVIDED AN INTERFACE WE CAN USE.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

That solution will cost me approx. $200 for Act! 2013 plus the cost of Microsoft office suite software. 

That is not a solution Roy.  

It feels as if you are making excuses for the software, getting short with me for it, and trying to sell me more software -  rather than trying to help me with the problem. It shouldn't be a difficult problem - a simple export to other software - yet, it is. 

I just want an address book. Act! is holding my contacts hostage. 

Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Shannon,

Velostic wrote:

I just want an address book. Act! is holding my contacts hostage. 

ACT! isn't holding your contacts hostage. You are by failing to upgrade. Even if you just upgraded every few years you wouldn't be in this spot. You're obviously prepared to spend money on Windows and Office but not ACT!, that in itself tells us what your priorities are. And if all you want is "an address book" then ACT! (even ye olde ACT! 6) is overkill. Outlook does that fine.

Outlook is a good contact manager for a single user.

Where ACT! shines is for multiple users and where you want more than basic contact managment. 

Now before you fire off some smart remark, think about this for minute, I don't have anything to gain from you by spending my time here answering your post. I'm not looking to sell you something. I am here to tell you how it looks from the outside: Your complaining that an some software from 2004 doesn't run on your new computer. Perhaps a google search for the system requirements might have helped? http://www.act.com/products/act-pro/ (this gives the ACT! 2013 requirements, not it does not mention Office 2013). and a google for "act! 6.0 system requirements" gives this as the first result: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13403/~/act!-6.0-system-requirements (it does mention Word 2002, but definately nothing newer than that). 

Remember, if you've not seen it to be important to spend anything on ACT! since mid 2000's, but have on other things... well, perhaps now is the time to spend something on it instead of getting upset? Seems to me you've had a very good run out of it.