Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6 -----> Act 11 notes and histories

Act 6 -----> Act 11 notes and histories

We have upgraded from ver.6 to ver. 11 and i finally got all contacts xferrred. but how do I get the notes and histories from one to the other?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 6 -----> Act 11 notes and histories

I'm not sure what you did. If you simply open the ACT! 6 database with ACT! 11, it would convert the database including the notes and history.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

4 of the 5 databases we have had corrupted notes and histories according to Act11 during the transfer process..  it's been a nightmare... 
Astute Commentator

I am considering this same upgrade - were your issues resolved, or are you still struggling?   Any advice for someone contemplating the same upgrade?
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

So this is what I had to do:

1. Copy database to a working database

2. Delete all but the last 3 years of notes

3. Start conversion to new Act

4. The conversion would halt at notes history with a dump of data (i.e. "Dear Jenny, we are missing one signature on the new account form please")

5. Open Act6 do a keyword search for the dump (Dear Jenny, we are missing one signature on the new account form please)

6. delete the contact in Act 6 that contained the dump data (It is a Bad record)

7. Go to Number 3 until all errors are done

8. It finally converted, so I could map the new format into our newly created database 

9. Once mapped across we had to manually add the records that were deleted in step 6.  Not too bad considering there were 2800 contacts in one database, 2200 in another, then various amounts of other contacts in the other databases. 

In a few databases there were only 2-3 bad contacts, however, in one of the databases there were 12 bad contacts, so it required 12 attempts at conversion.

We PDF'd the notes for years 4-10 from Act 6 as one giant Adobe file (7000 page Adobe), but it searches pretty quick, and we only rarely need to access the notes that are older than 3 years. 

Edit: It took about 5-6 man hours per database to clean em up and get them converted and mapped across.

Message Edited by Cerb on 10-15-2009 09:48 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

I don't know what you value your time at but I suspect that it would have been less expensive for you to send in the databases for repair and you would have saved yourself the aggravation.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have 5 databases, ~9000 contacts, and 14 users.

When we looked into the cost to repair the databases it was going to be very expensive.

I was able to do all at roughly the same time on 5 different machines while I worked on my own workload here at the office, so it saved us quite a bit of money. 

Edit: The biggest time consumption on any of these conversions is waiting for the machines to kick out the notes error.  Unfortunately the notes/history is the last thing to convert in the process. 

Message Edited by Cerb on 10-15-2009 10:28 AM