Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 6 - database error on open; critical error 55 using actdiag; error #5 using actdiag @ GCB point

Act! 6 - database error on open; critical error 55 using actdiag; error #5 using actdiag @ GCB point

[ Edited ]
Hello. 

Hopefully this will be an easy fix as I just can't see what I'm missing here. The situation is the following: a) Installed a new Digital IO Audio card this weekend. I was running nothing but the audio software that I normally use on a W7 64bit laptop with networking turned off. In the middle of the install i got a BSOD, the system rebooted and checkdisk started to run. when it was done it mangled ALL the files I was recording, even files that had already been saved and were not in active memory, connected to the original files in any way. Looking at the ChkDSK logs, this crash manged to effect a tremendous amount of files files on my machine, but ONLY in the auto directories that I was working on. Ok, I thought no big deal.
Trying to run my mail, it was mangled. Did a fresh re-install of the software and everything was ok the 1st time.
b) When I went to run Act, the database was mangled. I save sequentially every month.
In this case, the BSOD somehow mangled 2 full copies back which were in seperate directories. Remember
ACT! was not running at the time when the crash happened. I think this is a registry issue. However, the crash
was probably on the same sectors as my Act! data somehow and related to the crash from the BSOD. c) Trying to loading any of the 2 databases effected I get a "an error has occurred, do you want to try
to restore the database" I say yes, and the message is returned Can't open. See attached #1 d) running actdiag and a scan and repair I get an error 55 - file already open: see attached #2 e) attempting to repair the database the process makes it all the way to the scanning and stops at "GDB"
and just freezes: see attached #3 f) running a database conversion I get the message "record #4503 is causing the conversion error"
and stops: see attached #4 and of course there is no way for me to edit or delete record #4503 so can't get to
it that way. I've followed your directions on https://community.act.com/t5/Act-version-6-x-Prior/ACT-6-database-repair/td-p/73378/page/2 and no luck. I'm sure there is just something I'm missing, so if you can give any assistance that will greatly assist. Strange that a BSOD would do this, but eh, that's what happens with disk head crashes.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 6 - database error on open; critical error 55 using actdiag; error #5 using actdiag @ GCB point

The indications are that you suffered a hard drive crash in the worst
possible place, the disk directory. Unless you have file backups on a
separate storage device, you may not be able to recover your files. A
specialized hard drive recovery service might be able to reconstruct your
files. Sorry.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Highlighted

Re: Act! 6 - database error on open; critical error 55 using actdiag; error #5 using actdiag @ GCB point

[ Edited ]
Roy,

Thanks for the note. I've had this error before and I can't remember the
trick that I used in the past. I guess that's why I called in the calvary.

The database itself can be viewed so the files are still intact. You can
see here it was able to be repaired with the GDB, HDB and SDB but it is
still that one entry 4503 and so I need to modify that but I can't load
the database for some reason. See attached.

I can't be in a position to loose months of entries into the system.
What other options are there? I know this is an easy fix but I just
can't remember what I did last time.

The drive has been repaired and there was not a physical head crash so
this is nothing more than a data corruption issue as You can see that it was able to fix the 
file sizes in the final image attached and now it's all just an indexing issue so, I'm sure there
is a way to recover this no?