Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6 and Outlook 2007

Act 6 and Outlook 2007

I had to reload ACT 6.0, in fact my whole PC, and of course Outlook as well.  I have changed nothing but now when I try to go to Outlook to see my Act address book, it is not there, it worked great previously for years, any ideas ??

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 6 and Outlook 2007

ACT! 6.0 never was designed to work with Outlook 2007.

Some people say that if you had it working with Outlook 2003, then upgraded that it remained working as the upgrade left some of the old Outlook 2003 code there.

So, you might need to uninstall it all again, install Office 2003, then ACT!, then get it linked, then upgrade Office to 2007

Of course, none of this is actually supported.

in fact that is what I did, upgraded Outlook a few years ago, and the integration continued to work.  I hate the thought of reinstalling Outlook twice, once is bad enough, but I might try it.  I might consider upgrading Act as well, but a few years ago I was working with a newer version of Act and it was so slow I went back to 6, which I know inside out.  For me, Act is a tool, not a toy to play with, I just need to get things done.  I will take any advice on an upgrade you care to offer, I am a one man band in a home office working with customers worldwide, and I have always used ACT to track my history, notes, etc, but use Outlook for email and calenday.  Thanks for your reply

ACT! has continued to get faster ... although, that can depend on the hardware you're running. If you have low RAM or a slow hard drive, ACT! 6.0 will still be faster.

As to it being a tool ... if you want it to work properly on current operating systems and versions of Office, you really should upgrade.

It also adds a lot of functionality that you might find adds benefits to your business.

Mike

thanks again for your reply.  Which version should I look at???.  As for the PC, running XP, which I just reloaded completely, so its running pretty well now.  Its a Dell Vostro 1500, with probably 5700 rpm drive, plenty of space (now) and 1.6 gig Pentium processor 2.5 Gig memory.   So its reasonably spec PC.  I really am trying to avoid buying another, after spending two weeks of pain rebuilding this one, reinstalls, etc.  Just curious, since you are the GURU, what version of ACT I should consider in this circumstance ?

ACT!, like most database products, doesn't care to much about the processor ... 2.5GB RAM should be fine in XP. I usually prefer a 7200rpm drive or faster ... pretty easy to upgrade them in most laptops - but would require reinstalling again :-(

I'd go with ACT! 2013 ... on a clean XP install, it should give better results than ACT! 6.0

ok, thanks once again.  so my drive is 5400 rpm, do I go thru the pain of upgrading to 7200, or beyond that, what is your opinion ?  This pc is at least 5 years old, never travels, but I worry sometimes

I have to disagree with my friend Mike, the performance hit with a 5400 RPM drive is significant regardless of the amount of RAM. The reason is that everytime you go from one record to the next, the data must be retrieved from the hard drive. I have an older laptop with a 5400 RPM drive and 1.5 Gig RAM and the performance between that machine and my desktop with a 7200 RPM hard drive is not impossible but a bit annoying. Also watch the size of the hard drive cache, the larger the better.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129