07-31-2009 08:37 AM
I can't figure out what happened! I had Act 6.0 on my Windows XP machine. I got a new computer with Vista 64 bit so I now network using a KVM switch becuase most of my apps didn't work on Vista 64 and I couldn't afford to upgrade all my software. I now keep a phantom version of Outlook 2007 on my XP machine so I can send mail merges using Act 6.0. I don't do a lot of mail merges - usually a total of about 100 per month but occasionally I do more than that, perhaps up to 400 per week. About 6 months ago I noticed that when I did the mail merge, the emails would cue up in the Outbox (unsent messages were italicized) and then when they sent they would remain there with no italics. They never moved to the Sent Items box. I've got all the appropriate boxes checked to have them move after sending so it appeared to be some sort of a glitch. Since the emails still sent properly, I have just gotten used to deleting them out of Sent Items when they were complete.
BUT now I've got a new problem. As of Monday, the mail merge doesn't work at all anymore. When I attempt to run a mail merge in email, it goes through the whole process but when it gets to the window that says "Preparing Mail Merge" it hangs for about 90 seconds and then before the progress meter starts to creep, it suddenly stops and gives me a message that says the mail merge was cancelled. If I try to run it again, it simply hangs and never even gives me the error message. I have duplicated this process a half dozen times and it's the same every time. I need to re-start the computer to try it again. And once it's had the error message, I have to use the Task Manager to close out Act - it won't close normally.
I've tried to repair this by removing indexes and repairing the database. I've tried creating an entirely new database and uploading all of my contacts into it. I've tried using another database to do a test run. I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Act. I've tried rolling back my antivirus software to an earlier version (I upgraded it about 3 days before the problems started). All of these fixes have failed. My next step is to uninstall & reinstall Outlook but I really want to avoid messing with the Microsoft Suite if I can avoid it so I thought I'd ask for help first. I've also noticed that Act says it can no longer link to the Act Word Processor nor to Outlook. It appears to me that the link between Act & Outlook has somehow broken but it didn't coincide with any new software applications or anything. I have recently begun using a blackberry so I had to load that software and since it doesn't sync with Act the way my Treo used to, I've had to use Outlook as a workaround. But I installed this software about 3 weeks ago and mail merges had worked several times after the fact. I also upgraded my antivirus software (Trend Micro PC-cillin) to the newest version just a few days earlier but rolling it back to the earlier version didn't solve the problem.
FYI - I did notice that when I reinstalled Act, I received an error message at the end of the installation that suggested some problem with the Outlook integration but it was mostly full of gobbledygook (&*!!@@@@@) type of stuff.
07-31-2009 12:36 PM
Unfortunately, ACT! 6.0 never supported Outlook 2007 and it's likely that even if it did work, a Microsoft patch may have killed it.
If you need to send merged emails from ACT! 6.0 and don't have access to Outlook 2003 or earlier, you might have a look at doing them via MergeMaster!
The only other option would be to upgrade to a current version of ACT!
07-31-2009 12:47 PM
07-31-2009 01:06 PM