Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6 Windows 7 gmail

Act 6 Windows 7 gmail

Have bought 3 versions of ACT since 6.0 & unhappy with all. Still using ACT 6 - installed on Windows 7,  64 bit runs perfectly go to help in Win 7 &  ask "make older programs work in this version..."

Can't figure out how to get  ACT to work with gmail - no longer have Outlook express. Perhaps Gmail to Windows Live Mail to ACT? Also on my ACT Email setup it only offers "internet mail" on the drop down list. I could have sworn that at least Outlook/Outlook Express used to be on that list. Can I "load" another choice(s) in there somewhere. Now toying with   maybe getting ACT 2010/11.

But .... I have 189 user defined fields in my database that I really don't want to recreate from scratch in a new version that I won't like.  Maybe I'm just being grumpy.

Thanks gang

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 6 Windows 7 gmail

GMail uses no-standard fiends and ACT! can access via Internet Mail.

Only options are Outlook Express (not available in Windows 7) or Outlook (2003 or earlier for ACT! 6.0 support, but doesn't usually work properly on Win7)

Upgrading should keep all your fields, see:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/01/tips-for-converting-act-60-or-earlier.html
Bronze Contributor

Sadly,  ACT!'s email module hasn't been touched in years - it's hopelessly out of date and I don't think they have any intention of updating it.  Gmail, like many other programs has wisely decided to move off the old POP3/STMP ports to more modern, more secure ports, usually using SSL. ACT! is stuck in the past.

Signature

One port is no more or less secure than any other port... it's the protocol that defines the security, and there's no reason they need to change the port to add SSL or any other protocol.

The reason that many mail servers are moving ports to others (supported by RFC or not) is than many ISPs started blocking the default mail ports to protect against the spam caused by open rlay access
Bronze Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here are the industry standard port assignments.  Simple searching will find them posted everywhere.

POP3 - port 110 (Supported by ACT!)
IMAP - port 143
SMTP - port 25  (Supported by ACT!)
Secure SMTP (SSMTP) - port 465
Secure IMAP (IMAP4-SSL) - port 585
IMAP4 over SSL (IMAPS) - port 993
Secure POP3 (SSL-POP) - port 995

[Edit: content removed. please post courteously]

Signature

Like I said, it's the protocol, not the ports that define the security.

I can get ACT! to connect to other ports, but not to change the protocol

I cannot for the life of me get my gmail account to work either.  I have Act 6 and have been synching via email with my home laptop for many years no problem.  Something has changed and all of a sudden I can't send from work anymore.

I figured it was because we now use Microsoft Exchage, so I have been trying to use an internet email client to send my synchs.  I have tried gmail and my home provider, ca.rr and I can't get it to work.  It keeps putting my packets in the outbox...but when I test, the settings are fine.

help!

Gmail now requires SSL, which ACT!'s Internet Mail doesn't support

If you use Exchange, you would have Outlook? If Outlook 2003, you can have ACT! send via it

If later Outlook (not supported with ACT! 6.0) and you have XP, then you can have ACT! email via Outlook Express.

Another option is to have your Exchange Admin setup SMTP/POP3 accounts for you to use (if they let you)

If none of those are an option, you could look for another mail provider that uses 25/110

For sync (without email), AutoAdmin II allows sync via FTP:
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/16/2