Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6 Install on different computer

Act 6 Install on different computer

The motherboard of my desktop went out. I want to install Act! 6 on my laptop, XP op system. Act is backed up on Carbonite. Also, a Tech-Friend says to tether the old drive and open Act from there. First must install Act. I have original disc and Ser#. Can I approach this as I did years ago when first installing v.-6?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 6 Install on different computer

Yes... but when it wants to register the key, select to print it as the registration server for internet no-longer exists

This is where my memory goes vague. I remember a key being provided over the internet. Suspected it no longer available. Please provide a little more detail to your post. If I understand, I print to a printer?

As a note, a local Act Consultant was very kind to help me with a question and also mentioned you as "quick to help." My thanks to you, deeply appreciated.

It's your serial number I meant by key.

It then asks to register... the Internet option no-longer works, so you print the registration info

Who was the consultant? Thank them from me next time you speak

His name, Gary Kramer, G Kramer Consulting, Northern California. We are in the same city, I called him. He in Costco, as nice a guy as one could surprise with a call. Said I should have no problem and then mention forum and you.

I will be relieved a great degree once I have my database going again. Use it daily. For clarification, when installing and asked for serial number to register Act 6 I should print document as if mailing registration, as if no access to internet? Then product should complet installation and work.

Then, can I simply open the database I choose? Or, do I have to import. My database will be available from two sources, I hope, Carbonite or from the old C Drive. My tech friend wants to first go the tethered C drive route. My databases should be there as normal.

You will install and use the servial number you have. Then it will try to registers and you select to print.

I'd copy the database to a local folder like c:\ACTData

Thank you, again. I will have my friend's help and will be sure he sees your posts.