Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6.0 wont read database

Act 6.0 wont read database

After lightning destroyed my C drive a month or so ago (I recovered from that), and after a Microsoft update to Windows10 destroyed my C drive again (I recovered from some of that), I reloaded my old Act6.0 that I have been using for years but it wont read my old database I had saved.  Act 6.0 loads OK and runs OK but it wont read my old database with 1000 entries on it.

The error notes I get are

"The operation cannot be completed because an invalid filename was specified" Personal2.dbf (and associated files)

I tried to import my old file into a new file I just started and got this message:

"Error trying to import file. Please make sure you have selected the right file type and it is not opened by another application"

Whats going on?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 6.0 wont read database

For starters I have no idea what problems you may have trying to run ACT! 6 on Windows 10. At this point you need to do a search on your hard drive for Personal2.* files. You should find about 26 files with that name. This would be your database. If you find the complete database you should be able to open it with ACT! 6.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I know exactly where all the Personal2 files are but Act wont access the files and keeps giving me the errors I mentioned. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

A number of possibilities:
1. Are you running Act! 6.04?
2. Try the database in a different folder - like c:\actdata - make sure you have full permissions
3. Try a repair with Act! diag
4. The database might have been damaged in the crash and in need of repair
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
I know this sound silly but are you trying to access personal2.dbf from the zip backup? have you extracted the folder first?

Have you set UAC to minimum level?
Is Act! program set to XP? (right click Act.dbf in Program files)
Copper Contributor

Have you fixed the problem? if do how?