Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6.0--Very fast; Post 6.0--MEMORY HOGS--is 2009 still hog?

Act 6.0--Very fast; Post 6.0--MEMORY HOGS--is 2009 still hog?

I have been an Act user since 2.0 and I love it.  I bought 2005 or 2006--whatever it was after Sage got it--and it was a MEMORY HOG, would NOT generate reports quickly, and it was sloooooooooooooooooooow.  NO, I won't buy that my computer was "too slow" or did not have "enough memory" because EVERYONE I knew had the same complaints.  So disappointed was I with the Sage version that I REFUSED to install it--after giving it more than two months of slooooooooooooooooooooo operational use.  I re-entered all info to the old Act and I am still using 6.0

Question:

1. I use XP--very happy with it--but would like to know if there is an Act 6.0 to Outlook program I can use so that in the future I can deal directly with this program--the new Act is really not cutting it for me.

2. Does Act 6.0 work with Vista? Will it work with Windows 7--which apparently is a giant patch for Vista?

3. Is there a way to use Act 6.0 with the new Vista Outlook?  I use Outlook for my Blackberry. 

Help me! I want to stay with Act but do NOT want to install the MEMORY HOG the latest Act editions are 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 6.0--Very fast; Post 6.0--MEMORY HOGS--is 2009 still hog?

ACT! 2005/2005 used MS .Net 1.1, which did have problems. Current versions us MS .Net 2.0, which is much better

1. Not sure what you mean. ACT! 6.0 can send email to Outlook 2000 and 2003

2. Not completely. Some parts work for some users, some don't. And worse with the 64bit versions

3. No. Only ACT! 2008 and later work with Outlook 2007

With all due respect, the fact that you won't list your system specs including hard drive RPM leads me to believe that you are unwilling to acknowledge that your system or setup could be at fault. By the way, Sage has owned ACT! since 2003. As to your questions:

1. No

2. Unknown, some people have ACT! 6 working on Vista, others can't even get it to install. Most likely the same for Windows 7.

3. No. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I know exactly what you meanI have used ACT! up through 6.0 for years in my sales job and love itSeveral years ago the company I was working for decided to get all the sales force on the same contact management software and I talked them into looking at ACT! 6.0When they called to order it they were told 6.0 was not supported anymore but that we would love the 2007 (or whatever the version was at the time). 

Our experience was horrible!!!  It was a tremendous resource hog (would shut your computer down and yes we had up-to-date laptops with what were  considered to have plenty of memory at the time and the processor was fast enough according the ACT! peopleAfter several days of being unable to access my customer data base I went out and bought my own version of ACT! 6.0 on ebay and re-installed it on my company laptop and dared anyone to take it off againI remember at the time that I found an on-line forum full of people just like yourself who loved ACT! 6.0 but were very frustrated when they updated to the later versions and the majority of them were moving to other solutions and abandoning ACT! because the company obviously either was not able to fix the problems or simply ignored them.

A year or two later our company had an ACT! adviser to come in and help us decide whether to try ACT! againAfter discussion about our former problems he finally admitted that there was some problems with the new version but that ACT! had already corrected a lot of themFinally he admitted that the reports feature had problems and that we probably wouldn't be able to use reports in the latest versionThat was the straw that broke the camel's back for me

I notice the reply to your questions by Roy Laudenslager on here seemingly not understanding what you are talking aboutI don't understand how anyone with his stated experience with ACT! could not know what most people experienced when they tried to move from ACT! 6.0 to ACT 2005It was a horrible expereince - moving from a very good contact management tool to something that seemed a nightmare to try to use.

I am now working for another company and as much as I would like to have a version that is currently supported by the company I cannot put out the money for the software until I am sure ACT! has finally resolved their problemsAnd to be honest, it isn't very encouraging to me to hear someone from ACT! asking surprised at your questions and comments.

I am on Windows XP and did buy ACT Version 9, but went back to Version 6.  Not because of memory problems though. 

I like ACT 6.0 for the way I can edit the contacts in List View and not be forced into the individual contact screen.

However, it would be nice if I could remove some columns from that view. 

Anyone know how to do that?

By the way, I just discovered this resource and love it! 

Thanks for your reply, I just read it.  No, my system was NOT ANYWHERE NEAR the standards required (and recommended) by Act!  You may want to read the "horrible"nightmare--just like most of us went through--described two or three posts before this one and you will realize what was happening to most of us Act 6 lovers with the new Act 2005(?)--excellent description of the actual problem.  Bottom line: if you bought 2005 thinking it would smoothly blend in with the old Act 6 and system...you were in for a not-so-nice awakening.

I am told that Windows 7 has an internal setup that allows you to run your hardware as if it was XP.  In this case, will we be able to use Act 6 with an XP setup?

Regarding using ACT! 6 on Windows 7, I have no idea what or if you would have problems. What I do know is that it won't work with Word 2007 or later and I don't know what would happen on the 64-bit version of Windows 7. 

As to ACT! 2005 and later, yes I have seen horror stories but I have to assume they are generally isolated cases because that has not been my experience nor the experience of my clients. I do know that converting an ACT! 6 database that hasn't been cleaned up can cause problems but that's because of a corrupted database, not the ACT! program itself. While I did not have significant problems with ACT! 2005, there were many issues with that version. However, I was in tech support when ACT! 3 was released and ACT! 2005 didn't have anywhere near the problems that the original ACT! 3 had. For what it's worth, many of the problem of ACT! 3 are still present in ACT! 6. The ACT! program has shown steady improvement with each version since ACT! 2005.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129