Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 6.0.3. freezing on Notes/History

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 6.0.3. freezing on Notes/History

We have 5 users shared the Act database on a server, mostly 3 active users. Recently, our old Windows 2000 server (with the Act database) died, so we moved to a Windows 2003 R2 server. However, after the moving, the users are complaining about freezing database.

We did the followings but still have issues, even just one user.

1. Disable the Antivirus software on the server.

2. Disable the firewall.

3. Make sure all act! users have the full access rights to the shared folder.

4. Disable "Opportunist Lock" settings from Actdiag.exe (from clients and also the server)

5. Take out the Internet access option and Library tab in Act client.

My users claim they don't have any issues before the database moved to the Windows 2003 server.

I backuped and restored the database to a standalone Windows XP (SP3)  computer. After disabled "Opportunist Lock" settings from Actdiag.exe, I still have the same freezing issues when accessing some users with Notes/History tab (single user mode). I noticed that the database file is around 20MB, and we have around 8072 contacts in the database. Is there any restriction on the size? Shall we split or clean up the database?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author sh2006
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Act 6.0.3. freezing on Notes/History

Problem is solved!

Finally, found an add-on tool - Attachment Migration Wizard. $29.99

Refer to this post:

How to Use the Attachment Migration Wizard

Bought and download the utility, it works on Windows XP (not sure about Vista or Windows 7), and it seems working well.  :-)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

There is the possibility that you have corruption in the database but it's more likely that you have an overload of Notes/History records. I suspect that ACT! 6 isn't freezing but if you wait, it will free up. The performance of ACT! 6 declined in direct ration to the total number of records in the database. the record count includes the contact record and all the notes and history records (each note or history is a separate record). It was this performance reality that prompted the rewrite of the ACT! program to use an SQL database. In other words, I think it's time for you to upgrade.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

After trying to clean up, split the database and still freezing sometimes, I realize it's the attachments problem. Some attachments are refering to the old location on the old server which is down. After unchecked the Attachments on the filter of Notes/History tab, the freezing issues are not happening. Now the questions is to find a tool to change the folder of attachments to the new server. I found a "Red Flags" software can do this work. Does anyone recommend it?
Solution
Accepted by topic author sh2006
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Problem is solved!

Finally, found an add-on tool - Attachment Migration Wizard. $29.99

Refer to this post:

How to Use the Attachment Migration Wizard

Bought and download the utility, it works on Windows XP (not sure about Vista or Windows 7), and it seems working well.  :-)