Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 5 on Windows 7. Dealing with attachments directory (documents & settings)

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Act 5 on Windows 7. Dealing with attachments directory (documents & settings)

I've got a unique ACT problem.

I'm moving my ACT 5 to Windows 7

In my old act on XP the location of all of the attachments was: \\Qch00\Users My Documents$\USER\My Documents\Act\Document\.

This was the result of using redirected "my documents folder" on Small Business Server 2003.  As a result there is no easy way to get ACT to find those files on the Win 7 machine.  Any idea of how to fix this?

I remember seeing a utility that would allow me to change (I guess updates the database) of for all the attachment references.  Is that the way to go?

Is there another way?  Can someone point me to this utility if it exists.

Need some guidance on this one.  Thanks,

Roveer

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author roveer
‎02-15-2016 11:44 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Act 5 on Windows 7. Dealing with attachments directory (documents & settings)

I believe the attached zip file - AttachmentMigrationInstall.zip might work for this.

Let me know.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 5 on Windows 7. Dealing with attachments directory (documents & settings)

You're right, such a utility did exist. A tech in tech support created the utility and it was initially sold by ACT! support. It may still be available, you could try a search of the ACT! knowledge base to see if it's there.

However, if you really want to retain those attachments you need to get out of the past. If you install a recent version of ACT! (I would suggest ACT! 16) on the computer where ACT! 5 and the database is presently located and convert the database to the newer version of the ACT! program, the conversion would allow you to make the attachments part of the database. Then the updated database could be moved to the new system.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

I still have clients on ACT 6 but had to make my brain work overtime going back to ACT5.

Think this is right and know it is in ACT6

Go File - Backup - Tick all the boxes in the OPTIONS tab. (NB Make sure the URL links to where the documents etc are stored are correct.) and back up.

Install ACT 5 on your windows 7 machine (It should not work but it does !!!) and use restore from File in ACT.

Platinum Elite Contributor

That would backup the attachments but it wouldn't update the link in the database. What's required is to update the links in the database to move the attachments to a new location. There was a utility that would do that but I have no idea if it's still available. the method I proposed should preserve the attachments by eliminating the links and placing the attachments in the database itseelf.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I will hunt for that utility.  Any help in locating this program would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.

Solution
Accepted by topic author roveer
‎02-15-2016 11:44 AM
Bronze Contributor

I believe the attached zip file - AttachmentMigrationInstall.zip might work for this.

Let me know.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Highlighted

Have converted all the attachment references to point to a common location.  Have relocated all the files.  Back in ACT Heaven...  Thanks so much for your help.

Roveer