Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 4.0 synchronizes only from remote to server

Act 4.0 synchronizes only from remote to server

Earlier this month my Windows XP Pro HDD crashed and I had to install a new HDD, and reinstall Act 4.0 (Yes I know it’s old, but it suits my family’s purpose as a schedule maintainer, as does Windows XP with which I run several other legacy apps.) I have a laptop with Act 4.0 on it also, and before I installed the new HDD, synchronization between it and the server worked just fine. Now when I synch to my new drive, the changes from H:\Act come across to the laptop, but the laptop changes do not go the other way. I get the “0 records sent” message.

The old C drive is still operational, just without Windows XP OS. The newly installed Windows XP Pro is on the new HDD “H.” After I set up the new drive, and got Windows operating again, I merely copied all the Act data files (which I keep in a directory at the root (viz. C:\Act) over to the new directory H:\Act. Program files on both computers reside in C:\Program files\Symantec\Act and H:\Program files\Symantec\Act, respectively. In transitioning my Act database from the old drive to the new one, I’ve obviously done something that breaks the synchronizing specs. Two questions: 1) What should I have done to transition my Act data from the old drive to the new drive? And 2) How do I fix the problem so synchronization works properly again?

P.S. I see only one file in the Symantec Program files directories that has changed since I put in the new HDD: C:\Program Files\Symantec\ACT\ModMenu.act, which I tried attaching with the prefix C- and H- for the respective HDDs, but the post software wouldn't allow it, saying, "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 4.0 synchronizes only from remote to server

As a general rule when synchronization is broken, including the way you describe, there isn't any way to repair it other than fully resetting it up from scratch. There are knowledge base documents with step by step directions. For what it's worth I originally wrote those procedures.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

OK. Can you point me to the KB article that would be pertinent to Act 4.0?

You can access it by clicking Customer Resources on this web site.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I took your suggestion and searched Customer Resources, and found a posting with a similar problem: “ACT 4 Sync Problem” Following that post led to another posting by you:

“Yes. Synchronization was not set up correct and they have a copy of the main database and it has the same database ID at the main database and therefore thinks that the remote had created the sync packet.”

To which the user replied: “Thanks for getting back to me.  Do you know how to correct this?”

The reply to that question by Mike Lazarus of GLComputing: “Try these ACT! Knowledge Base articles:  http://tinyurl.com/24cf9l

http://tinyurl.com/25qsw2

both references take me to a  general Sage Support page, and not to any KB article.

You mentioned in your first post, "There are knowledge base documents with step by step directions." I would love to look at these, however I have had no success in finding them. So anything more specific?

I took your suggestion and searched Customer Resources, and found a posting with a similar problem: “ACT 4 Sync Problem” Following that post led to another posting by you:

“Yes. Synchronization was not set up correct and they have a copy of the main database and it has the same database ID at the main database and therefore thinks that the remote had created the sync packet.”

To which the user replied: “Thanks for getting back to me.  Do you know how to correct this?”

The reply to that question by Mike Lazarus of GLComputing: “Try these ACT! Knowledge Base articles:  http://tinyurl.com/24cf9l

http://tinyurl.com/25qsw2

both references take me to a  general Sage Support page, and not to any KB article. 

There are no further messages on that post.

So anything more specific for resetting the synchronization. You mentioned in your first post

Highlighted

This article. 11868. includes links to the synchronization articles you need.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129