Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act!~ 2000 compatibility with XP Pro

Act!~ 2000 compatibility with XP Pro

I know, a dinosaur, but it has worked well for me.  Or did. Worked fine on my Windows 2000 Pro and XP Home machines. New computer has XP Professional.  ACT! 2000 won't load, and the Windows Compatibility Wizard does not help.  Some other older propgrams do load, but some others also do not. Any solution suggestions? Or do I have to go back to XP Home? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. --Bob

Re: Act!~ 2000 compatibility with XP Pro

Still haven't had any ideas on how to get Act!2000 to install from the CD on my newer XP Pro computer (Dual core processor). It installs fine on a XP Home computer (Pentium IV). Older Quicken wouldn't install either but I tricked it by copying Quicken-related .dll files from System32 subdirectory into the new computer, and the program ran fine.  Anyone out there ever have this problem, and if so, how to overcome it?  Thanks -- Bob

I have ACT2000 (v5) running on many XP Pro SP2 machines with no difficulties.

I install from the CD, then use updates 5.02, 5.03 & 5.04. Works great!

I also use Symantec Norton Internet Security. Perhaps this is your problem.

You have to unselect the NIS option "Protect my Symantec Product" because the ACT2000 (by Symantec) app needs to write to the registry under a Symantec key & NIS won't allow that if the option is checked because NIS no longer recognizes ACT as a Symantec product.

Another choice is to install ACT2000 (& Symantec WinFax products) before installing NIS.

Len

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try copying the CD to a folder on the C: drive and installing from there.

There should be no difference between XP Home and Professional as far as ACT! is concerned. You do need the 5.04 update for XP

Hi Mike-

Thanks for your response.  I did try copying the installation CD to a hard disk sub directory, but when I tried installing it it would not execute. In both cases (hard disk and form CD) after the main install screen comes up, when you click on "Install ACT 2000" nothing happens.  I have downloaded the 5.04 up grade but that does not seem to help the install. I have several other programs that also will not install, including AutoCad 2000, Microsoft Office 97 and Photoshop Elements.  Several other ollder ones installed fine. I am beginning to think it is related to either Norton AntiVirus or Spybot, but I have tried disabling certain portions of those and it still won't work. Maybe I need to uninstall Norton and/or Spypbot completely and then try installing them.  --Bob

Nickel Elite Contributor

You definitely need to uninstall Norton antivirus, spybot should not be a problem. You may need to abandon the use of Norton if you want to continue to use ACT! 2000. ACT! 2000 shares the Symantec hive in the Windows registry and it looks like Norton has expanded the protection of their registry hive to completely exclude the ACT! program. ACT! 2005 and later has its own hive in the registry and does not have the same problem. For what it's worth, a couple of years ago I switched from Norton Antivirus to AVG.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Hi Roy--Thanks for your response.  Do you think if I uninstall Norton (NAV 2008), then install Act 2000, then reinstall Norton, Act would work?  I just went through a live chat/remote control session with Norton, during which they disabled Norton (they said) but did not uninstall it.  It did not help, and they said it is not a Norton problem.  Suggested it might be a problem with Microsoft firewall settings, pop up blocker, etc. Sounds to me like it is a Norton problem. I also can't install Phtoshop Elements, Office 97 and AutoCad 2000.  Quicken 6.0 wouldn't install either but I tricked it into working by copying Quicken related .dll files into the Windows32 subdirectory. Other older programs installed OK. Do you think all of these are related to a Noton blocking problem?  Hate to have to pay upgrade everything and get lots of new features I don't want or need.  --Bob

Nickel Elite Contributor

In the past, the following was my recommendation that would work:

My guess is that you are using Norton antivirus or system works. If so the fix is to uninstall both ACT! 6 and Norton, restart the computer and then reinstall ACT! first and open ACT! 6 at least once and then reinstall Norton. Norton now blocks registry keys critical to the full installation of ACT! 6. If ACT! 6 is install first, everything should work.

However, what I was finding was that Norton made read only the registry folder under the Symantec hive called Installed Programs. Once ACT! 5 or 6 was installed, Norton could be installed and everything would work. The fact that your ACT! program won't install with Norton installed makes me suspect that they have expanded their protection to the entire Symantec hive in which case you would have problems even after a successful install. I would try uninstalling Norton and then see if your ACT! program and other programs will install. If so, I would change to a different antivirus program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Funny enough, their Symantec Anti Virus doesn't do such silly things... a much better AV for business users than NAV

Hi Roy--

Thanks again for your ideas.  I was running NAV 2008, and I have been trying to install ACT 2000 v. 5. I uninstalled NAV 2008 and installed NAV 2006.  My ACT 2000 Program was running fine with NAV 2006 on my other computer.  Tried to install ACT 2000--no luck.  I then uninstalled NAV 2006 and tried to install ACT 2000 first.  Again  no luck.  As best I could tell, I removed all Norton components and rebooted; still the machine would not execute the ACT setup file. It activates fine on the other machine. Same as before, the first ACT install screen comes up but when I click on Install ACT 2000, nothing.  I wonder if I should not only uninstall NAV 2006 but go the Norton web page and download the uninstall program they have.  Maybe the needed registry hive is still protected.  Or maybe something else is the culprit, but I can't think of what.--Bob