Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act 2000 Upgrade - Database Conversion Errors

Act 2000 Upgrade - Database Conversion Errors

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade a really old version of Act (2000) that is used internally in our company. I am having a problem trying to convert the old dbase data. I keep recieveing the following error message when trying to do the upgrade: "Conversion has been halted with the following message: The process cannot access the file 'pre7actdb.adb' because it is being used by another process".

I have read a few other posts with people having the same problem and have tried all of the suggestions but nothing worked. What I don't understand is where this pre7actdb.adb file even exists? What is it and what does it do? Someone in another post mentioned it has to do with file attachments in the database so I looked at some of the records in the old database and a lot of file attachements are paths to network drive's that don't exist and are long gone. Wondering if that is the problem?

I have tried the 'actdiag' diagnostics tool and nothing fixes the error I am getting. Scanned the database and did the database repair and everything checks out in green. Reindexed the database as well.

Any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act 2000 Upgrade - Database Conversion Errors

The first question is do you have the entire ACT! 2000 database which consists of ove 20 files? the ADB is the activities table for the database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes it does seem like all the files are there...

I believe that you have one or more corrupted activities in the ACT! 2000 database. These are some things I would try if you have access to the ACT! 2000 program. Make sure you have a backup of the database and then, With ACT! closed, delete the databsae file with the ADB extension. Reopen ACT! and it should create and empty ADB file. Do a compress and reindex and then try to convert the database. If it works it will cost any activity information but the rest of the database should be OK. 

The other option would be to send the database to our database repair service.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I tried what you have suggested but still resulted in the same error.

What is the cost of the repair service?

I don't do the actual repairs, they are done by another associate so I'm not sure of the pricing. Go to Techbenders.com and there's and estimate form there. The evaluation is free.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129