Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2000 - Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

MSV

Act! 2000 - Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

We have this probelm everytime we set up a new user and the only solution we have found is to make everyone a local administrator. This is less than ideal and we would like to be able to run Act! with the users as ordinary privileged users.

Any hints welcome.

cheers, Paul

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Act! 2000 - Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

There is an article related to this issue with ACT! 6.0 at this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4gga6w
For some reason, it now points to a link that requires some login that no user has access to.
I have got permission from Amanda at Sage support to pass on a copy of an old KB article that I have a copy of to deal with this
Please note, that because this document involves some sophisticated registry changes that some users had problems with they don't want me to post it to the forum. However, I have been told I can provide a link to a copy I've posted on a site of mine privately as long as I warn users it's not supported by Sage.
Any user who wishes to get a link to this document, please send me a Private Message in this forum and I'll reply with the link

Re: Act! 2000 - Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

Our problem is similar. We run Act 2008 (10) on Vista Business with Office 2003. Everything was running OK for some months but now for the first time recently we are unable in Word 2003 to get the "Act! Field List" to appear. It is appearing as a menu item but clicking the menu item gets zero response. I am the administrator with administrator rights. In Tools/Template and Add Ins, the Act.dot is ticked. None of the other 3 items on the Act Menu inside Word 2003 are working either but only the field list is important to us. Any advice on the problem would be appreciated as we are desperate as our mailings are critical to our business. Is there a way of activating the field list manually?

Radusa again. I have fixed my problem but added another issue. Prior to posting message 3, I had checked through the Help menu for any updates and received the message that I had the latest version. I accepted that and spent some hours trying get the field list up. No success. I was later "inspired" to check the downloads section of the Act! website and found in fact there are 2 updates that I had NOT downloaded and applied. 10.0.2 and Hotfix for 10.0.2. I downloaded both and installed the first and this fixed the problem! Happy, yes.

However, 2 questions arise:
(1) Act need to fix the issue where the Help menu states my version is up to date when this is untrue!

(2) Should install the Hotfix even though I now have no particular problems?

radusa wrote:

Radusa again. I have fixed my problem but added another issue. Prior to posting message 3, I had checked through the Help menu for any updates and received the message that I had the latest version. I accepted that and spent some hours trying get the field list up. No success. I was later "inspired" to check the downloads section of the Act! website and found in fact there are 2 updates that I had NOT downloaded and applied. 10.0.2 and Hotfix for 10.0.2. I downloaded both and installed the first and this fixed the problem! Happy, yes.

However, 2 questions arise:
(1) Act need to fix the issue where the Help menu states my version is up to date when this is untrue!

(2) Should install the Hotfix even though I now have no particular problems?

1. Because the 10.02 update needs to be on every machine and a company admin wouldn't want a user updating till they're ready to do everyone, it doesn't come through the menu update.

2. If you're not doing sync, you probably don't need it

BTW: This thread was about ACT! 2000 (5.0), not 2008 (10.0)

Thanks Mike.

I understand what you are saying about all systems needing the upgrade together - thanks for this aha moment so I am no longer bitter and twisted about this Smiley Embarassed). It may be a good thing to mention as an item in the Act! regular newsletter as it turns what I though was a negative into what is actually a positive.

I didn't note that the thread was Act 2000 (Must be old age). I could not find another relevant thread anyway nor anything in the Act!knowledge base.

Even though my problem was not mentioned in the description of the upgrade to ver 2, my problem did go away after the upgrade ie. I was able to get the field code list back so I am happy now.

MSV

Back to my problem at last.

I completely uninstalled and removed all traces of Act, then re-installed. I still get this error message but it is tha Act word processor that will not run.

Tried giving full permisssions for everyone to the Act directory, no joy.

Have not added the current user to the local admin group yet, hoping to sort it without.

cheers, Paul

Are you running an Anti Virus?

Which one?

If running Norton AV, the current versions won't let ACT! connect anymore.

If not, send me a message Private Message system in the Community (top-right of the page) and I'll send you a doc from an old KB to try.

It's unsupported and you need to be careful following it, but it might help

MSV

We are running Panda AV and have no problems as long as the user is a local administrator.

I will try a process/registry monitor and see if I can spot the problem.

cheers, Paul