Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Act! 2000 - Can't Lock Database error when trying to back up or do database maintenance

Act! 2000 - Can't Lock Database error when trying to back up or do database maintenance

I have used Act! for many years.  I depend on it.  The database opens and can be used normally.  Database has 2,000 + contacts.  Less than 10MG.  When I try to backup or do the database maintenance I get error "Can't Lock Database".  After that, I close the error message and can continue using it normally.  If I go to a second pc on home network and try to open Act! using the same db on the first pc, I get error that the "Database Is Locked" and it will not allow it to be opened on second pc.  If I open it initially on the second pc and try to backup or do maintenance, I get same "Can't Lock Database" error.

I have run scan disk on the pc containing the db.

That pc has a Maxtor OneTouch running a mirror to the drive.  I have turned this off and the error continues.

I would have upgraded to newer versions , but they would not let me upgrade my customized screen templates that are important to me.

Help would Greatly be appreciated.

Ron

Re: Act! 2000 - Can't Lock Database error when trying to back up or do database maintenance

Hi Ron

did you ever get this problem resolved?  I too have ACT! 6.0 and an getting the same error message when I try to backup my database.  The database is on a network, and I am the administrator.  The other folks on the network can get on and use ACT! without any problems, but I can't seem to backup!!! any insight is greatly appreciated.  thanks!

Jim

Re: Act! 2000 - Can't Lock Database error when trying to back up or do database maintenance

Jim,

I fixed it, but as always, can't remember what we did.  As I look back, I think I exported the database and renamed it.  I see I did that a few days after this post. 

Not sure if this will help.  Sorry I can't remember exactly what was done.

Thanks

Ron