Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT6.0 does close after clicking on red button.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT6.0 does close after clicking on red button.

Hello,

I've just installed a SSD for my OS. (Junked an ageing HHD).

I run Windows 7 Home on a local machine. I run ACT6.0.3

Everything works perfectly except ACT will not close on the red button. I have to go to Task Manager and stop the app from there.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this issue. Any suggestions (polite!) would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author SuperNiceNina
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT6.0 does NOT close after clicking on red button.

Hello All Gentlemen,

Delighted to report the problem is now fixed.

Re-ran the 6.0.3 update exec and hey presto ACT6.0! now runs perfectly under Windows 7. It closes on the red button again!

Many thanks for your interest and inputs.

Hate to mention the timing issue....I leave it to you all to debate further if you feel the need. Please be cool - all input is well meant.

LOL, SuperNiceNina.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Sorry MEGA typo........does NOT close after clicking the red button.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Running ACT! 6 on Windows 7, all bets are off. Most likely a timing issue, could be related to the SSD.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi,

Interesting comment...admittedly it is the oldest app I run. So I guess every dog has its day (although ACT 6.0 has a few bells and whistles removed from later versions).

Wasn't a problem with the HHD drive and I have my apps installed to a HDD and not in the OS drive volume.

Thanks for your input.

Copper Contributor

I'm running ACT! 6 on Windows 7 64 and it works fine for me.    Macros dont work like they did on XP, but that's the only difference we noticed.   Not sure what you're referring to by the 'red' button. 

Copper Contributor

Hi,

By the 'red button' I refer to the top right close app button with an X on it.The only way I can close ACT is via Task Manager. Not exactly the end of the world, more an irritation.

It worked fine on Windows 7 until I swopped my hard drive for a 840 EVO SSD using Samsung's Data Migration software to clone the OS across.

Want to avoid re-installing ACT as getting it going on Windows 7 wasn't straightforward. Not sure I can remember exactly how I managed it 4 years ago anyway!

(I am not convinced the Samsung s/w is entirely bug free as it switched off Backup and Restore in services. I assume to avoid a migration clinch should backup kick in whilst moving data. But it didn't switch it back on at the end.)

SuperNiceNina

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

That's strange, I''ve never heard of an applicaiton not honoring the [X] button.     My Act! 6 closes just fine as expected.   How about File|Exit  or Alt-F4, do they close your Act! application?   They both should.    Sounds like something else entirely may be amiss on your PC.

Copper Contributor

I wish Roy would stop misleading folks when he keeps saying "Running ACT! 6 on Windows 7, all bets are off. " when that's clearly not the case, except for Macros.

I'm not misleading anyone and I stand by what I said, if you're running ACT! 6 on Windows 7, all bets are off. I didn't say that it wouldn't run at all but the point is that ACT! 6 was never tested on any version of windows later than XP so I have no idea what problems you might encounter. You mention macros, those don't work because Microsoft removed a lot of the old legacy code in Windows 7 including the very old Windows macro code that ACT! 6 made use of. Other things that won't work: you can't use any version of Word or Outlook later than version 2003. The ACT! email won't work running ACT! 6 on Windows 7. Basically if you have problems, you're on your own trying to fix it.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

As I stated before, it's most likely a timing issue related to the speed of the SSD. What it might actually be, I have no idea.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129