Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT won't let Mail Merge connect and import wizard crashes ACT

TB

ACT won't let Mail Merge connect and import wizard crashes ACT

We have 2 computers using ACT 6.0, both Windows 7 and our files are on a machine with Server 2003. Everything has been working flawlessly since moving to Windows 7 until about a month ago when Mail Merge would not connect to ACT to send a mailing on one computer. The import wizard will no longer work on this computer either - just says ACT has to close.

I am suspecting a Windows Update on my computer may have caused this, but I have uninstalled updates back to before the issue started and it hasn't made any difference.

I have uninstalled ACT and then reinstalled, however, it did not resolve the issue. I can see in the error logs on the server that Mail Merge is trying to log into ACT. I can still import (thankfully) on our other computer, however that is not as convenient as using my main computer.

I am working around sending emails by exporting as a CSV, then sending from Mail Merge using the CSV file, but I miss the notes being updated in ACT showing what emails had been sent. I only have Mail Merge loaded on the computer with the

Anyone have any ideas how to get this resolved?

ACT-log.jpg

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT won't let Mail Merge connect and import wizard crashes ACT

My best advise would be to upgrade ACT! to the current version. If you're using Word as the word processor, you may have a damaged template on the one computer. ACT! 6 typically didn't share templates between computers.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
TB

We have never used the word processer,  nor even the email feature. We have been using this for 10 years and never had an issue. So we can't have a damaged template.

We have one version of ACT 2012 that we purchased a few years ago, but never switched, as we only have one license and really need 2. We never switched because I read so many posts of how people hated it and wish they stayed with ACT 6.0.

We don't need to be on the cloud and really just need the program kept at our office. We use remote access if it is necessasary  to reach our database remontely.

We use it with Mail Merge to send emails out and maintain a list of data. We don't need anything big, that is why this has worked so well for us for so many years.

Are you saying that beyond the Word template being damages (that we have never used) you don't know what would cause this issue?

Platinum Elite Contributor

My last couple of years in ACT! tech support, I did most of the ACT! 6 esclations. Today most of that knowledge has faded. I do knoe that email amd email merge in ACT! 6 was very fragile and hard (sometimes impossible) to fix short of a reformat and rreinstall of Windows. I do know this, I sometimes need to work on an ACT! 6 datase and for that purpose I use an XP virtual machine on my Windows 7 computer. I personally wouldn't try to run ACT! 6 directly installed on Windows 7. ACT! 6 was never tested on Windows 7 so what problems there might be is unknown.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129