Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Version 6.0.3 - Unpredictable, slow and spontaneous freeze overs...

ACT Version 6.0.3 - Unpredictable, slow and spontaneous freeze overs...

We're an office of six users.  We recently did the little ACT update from version 6.0 to 6.03.  Before then we had no issues with the program.  Now, a few weeks later, some of our users are complaining that their ACT is freezing repeatedly, while at other times I may feel like the system is only temperamental and may slow down on occasion.  One particular user has to restart 10 times today already!  On other days, his ACT can function fine.  Freezing can mean a few mere seconds to a good few minutes to the need to reboot the computer in order to wake it up.  The interesting thing is that we're not all experiencing the same level of difficulty and whatever the problem is, it affects us at different times.  It's as if the issue is passing between users on intervals.

Any clue what our problem may be??  This is quite a crisis here.

Thank you...
Frieda

PS: to whoever had assisted with my other two postings I would like to express my gratitude for some very helpful advice.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Version 6.0.3 - Unpredictable, slow and spontaneous freeze overs...

That problem sounds like a large database with a large number of contacts and an immense amount of note and history. I will make a bet that when the program seems to freeze that you are going from one record tot he next with the Notes/History tab open. This can often be made worse by network problems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

We are experiencing the SAME exact issue. The problems are ALWAYS on the same user's machines. 2 out of 7 have slowness. I've been an ACT user for nearly 10 years, so know it inside and out, and have tried the suggested fixes from the links above, but NOTHING works.
Anybody have any other suggestions?

How is upgrading to ACT 10 or dare I say, Goldmine, from ACT 6.03 with 7 networked users and 1100 names in the database?

Thank you!
Nickel Elite Contributor

If only two of seven users are having problems and all are accessing the database over the network, the most likely culprit is the network itself, mainly the network cards or configuration in those two machines. Try copying the database local onto one of those machines and try running the database local. If it is dramatically faster, then you know the network is the problem.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

[ Edited ]

We have 7 users. Here is the problem I can't figure out.

1) If ALL users are on at the same time, the SAME 2 users have VERY SLOW response times on calender and scheduling. The other 5 users have close to normal response times with little lags.

2) If the users that experience the slowness when all users are logged in, are the ONLY users logged in, then they experience NORMAL response time with little lags. It is only when ALL users are logged in do those same users experience major slowness.

That said, it seems like the database is not the problem, nor the installation, but perhaps it is a network/server problem? Can anyone please be more specific and technical about the types of things we can experiment with to fix this problem? I've tried nearly everything...

Thank you!

"the most likely culprit is the network itself, mainly the network cards or configuration in those two machines." - can you elaborate on what information I need to find out to determine if this is the problem? What tests can be run, etc.
Message Edited by WachoviaPF on 05-14-2008 10:25 AM

Still need help with this question... please help!

We have 7 users. Here is the problem I can't figure out.

1) If ALL users are on at the same time, the SAME 2 users have VERY SLOW response times on calender and scheduling. The other 5 users have close to normal response times with little lags.

2) If the users that experience the slowness when all users are logged in, are the ONLY users logged in, then they experience NORMAL response time with little lags. It is only when ALL users are logged in do those same users experience major slowness.

That said, it seems like the database is not the problem, nor the installation, but perhaps it is a network/server problem? Can anyone please be more specific and technical about the types of things we can experiment with to fix this problem? I've tried nearly everything...

Thank you!

"the most likely culprit is the network itself, mainly the network cards or configuration in those two machines." - can you elaborate on what information I need to find out to determine if this is the problem? What tests can be run, etc.

Nickel Elite Contributor

With the type of problem you are reporting, you most likely need some direct troubleshooting of the network. Because much of the troubleshooting would depend on each system's configuration, your best bet would be to contact someone local to analyze your network.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

I the network is more than likely ok.  data transfer rates should be well over the the few bursts that occur now and then with database access traffic.  Unless someone else on your LAN is DL'ing huge videos and music *at the same time you're trying to work*.

The real problem lies in the way Windows and ACT handle network connections.  

One solution is to buy more user connection licenses from ACT if your total user connection count to the server machine exceeds 10 then you have to resort to buying installing Windows Server and more separate licenses for each user/connection involved there.

I hope you have lots of money.

(Migrated to Linux where those issues do not exist)

Smiley Happy

Platinum Elite Contributor

dbuser_01 wrote:

I the network is more than likely ok.  data transfer rates should be well over the the few bursts that occur now and then with database access traffic.  Unless someone else on your LAN is DL'ing huge videos and music *at the same time you're trying to work*.

A faulty nic or cable can cause that. ACT! 6.0 actually check the database every 4 seconds by default (can be changed)

The real problem lies in the way Windows and ACT handle network connections.  

Why? 

One solution is to buy more user connection licenses from ACT if your total user connection count to the server machine exceeds 10 then you have to resort to buying installing Windows Server and more separate licenses for each user/connection involved there.

I hope you have lots of money.

That's a Microsoft CAL issue. The workstation operating systems are only licensed for up to 10 concurrent users.

(Migrated to Linux where those issues do not exist)

And neither does ACT!  Smiley Sad

Smiley Happy