Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT For Windows Build 5.0.4.507 can it be installed/used on new Windows 10 HP Laptop?

Highlighted

ACT For Windows Build 5.0.4.507 can it be installed/used on new Windows 10 HP Laptop?

Anyone have any experience with Act for Windows on Windows 10?

I have my version of ACT running on a machine that was originally purchased with Windows 7 on it, upgraded to Windows 8, and upgraded to Windows 10.  It runs fine, just need to right click "Run As Administrator" and no real problems.

I also have installed and have this version of ACT running on a Windows 10 HP  laptop  with 4 GB RAM that I purchased used and it seems to run OK although it and other programs periodically just close and go away - I credit this to insufficient memory but am uncertain.  Does work, however.

Because of the problems referenced above, it is my plan to take the HP laptop that is running Windows 10 and has been my primary home machine and giving it to my kids, replacing it with a brand new HP Pavillion laptop with Windows 10 and 12 GB RAM.  When I attempt to install ACT on it, I get a message that tells me that it is incompatible with this 64 bit operating system.  I've tried setting the properties on the SETUP to run as Windows XP SP2 mode as some suggested, still no joy.  Have even copied the executable files across to this machine and tried running same way - no joy there either.

Some posts dealing with installing older versions suggest VM virtual machine installation?  Is that viable?

Now, its not just that I'm too cheap to upgrade - actually it IS somewhat that, plus recently lost my primary source of income and am working diligently to replace that stream - but it is ALSO because I have just short of 12,000 contacts in there with extensive notes and history.  I don't use integrateion with Office or with Email, so that's not an issue - although it would be NICE to have it.  I'm open to any suggestions - including upgrade IF there is a way to get the notes and so forth across, although I doubt that since ACT! has changed ownership several times since I bought my copy.  Here's what I have - any ideas?    

ACT! For Windows
Build: 5.0.4.507
Portions copyright @ 2000-2002 Interact Commerce Corporation
Portions copyright @ 1993-2000 Symantec Corporation under exclusive license to Interace Commerce Corporation

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT For Windows Build 5.0.4.507 can it be installed/used on new Windows 10 HP Laptop?

Your database can be converted to the latest version of ACT! though it;s a two step process for a database that old. Your main problem is that your ACT! version won't work on a 64 bit machine. '
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: ACT For Windows Build 5.0.4.507 can it be installed/used on new Windows 10 HP Laptop?

Thank you - would things like notes and groups and user fields come across with a conversion?   Is it possible to run a virtual machine or some other way to run the old version and not have to do that?

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Act 6 works fine on W10 64 bit. I have found best to set admin to W7 rather than XP

Also networking works fine (3 PCs W10 64bit)

Hope this helps!