Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT.EXE Command Line Parameters?

Copper Contributor

ACT.EXE Command Line Parameters?

Does ACT.EXE have any Command Line Parameters that we can explore?

I'm really trying to find a way to have ACT initially open with the "Contact List" view, for easier & quicker contact lookup from the start.    We used to do this with a simple Act Macro, but now that everyone has Windows 7 Act macros do not appear to work anymore. 

Silver Contributor

Re: ACT.EXE Command Line Parameters?

No but go to tools, preferences, startup

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Hi Jon - Thanks for the reply.    On the Preferences | Startup tab (see image attached) I don't really see how to add an option to start Act! showing the Contact List ?      I used to do this via the Macro on Startup option, but with Win7 64 macros don't work "Playback can not be started".

4-7-2014 9-19-47 AM.jpg

Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! macros depended on an old Windows macro capability that Microsoft didn't include in Windows 95 and later. However they didn't remove the legacy code so that the ACT! macros continuted to work. However with Vista and later Windows 7, Microsoft removed much of the very old legacy code and it appears that they removed the code that supported the ACT! macros.

There is a simple fix for your problem, upgrade to ACT! 16 which has a preference option to set the Contact List as your default display choice.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy - I hear your advice re V16 being a simple fix.  

Is upgrade to 16 a fairly simple easy effort?     Can I bring my ACT! 6 contacts & Notes over to v16?     We only use the Contact Sheets and the Notes areas of ACT 6.   We have about 5000 client contacts in ACT all of which are quite important to us. 

I'll give you a conditional yes. Most database conversions from ACT! 6 are easy. Much depends on the health of the ACT! 6 database. I always do a compress and reindex and do the database maintenance in ACTdiag before trying the conversion. Given the information provided, I would expect that a conversion of your database would be easy. the conversion is easy, all you do is open the ACT! 6 database in ACT! 16 and follow the steps.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy -

Ok, I'm trying the V16 upgrade from ACT! 6.    Using 30 day Trial ACT! Premium,  on a nice loaded clean PC with Windows 7 64. 

I can't get past fatal error: "Conversion has been halted with the following message: The process cannot access the file 'pre7actdb.adb' because it is being used by another process."

Google:  So far I've read:

http://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Conversion-Error-pre7actdb-adb-file-is-being-used-by-another...

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31313/~/error%3A-conversion-has-been-halted-with-the...

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31278/~/error%3A-conversion-has-been-halted-with-the...

Something about corrupt "Activities" sections of Act6.   We've never used "Activities",  only the Contacts & Notes area.   Nothing fancy, we're simple ACT! users, like an address book with some light notes.   Only 1900 records.

Our.DBF,  ActDiag.exe runs aok all green checks.  I did the ActDiag scan and repair.  I also did all the database administration of reindex and compress a few times, and "data clean-up".    All looks good. 

I also did the ACT v16 install from scratch on a clean a Windows XP 32.    Reattempted conversion, exact same error message.  Man Sad

I'm at a loss on what to try next.   Sticking to ACT6 seems to be our only option at the moment.    We can't upgrade without the conversion.    

Any hints would be appreciated.  

Ouch! Activities, even if you don't use them touch so many other parts of the database they are often the source of corruption.There is a field repair that can be done in ACT! 6 before the conversion that will often fix problems like yours. It's a bit comples but I'll outline the steps.

1. Create an empty copy of your database. (File | Save Copy As | Empty Copy)

2. Export al the user My records to the empty copy.

3. In the new database create use account for all the users, be sure to select the exported My record, don't create a new record for the user.

4. Import the old database into the new database. In the merge options you night want to specify to not add any activity records.

Wish you luck. If you do decide to upgrade, let us provide you a quote.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Kudos Roy,  that last hint with the 4 steps worked!   We converted sucessfully to v16 from v6.    Thank you !

SQL database host:   We already have an onsite production SQL Server 2008 R2 where all our corporate use databases reside and are fully maintained, redundancies built-in, backups, etc.   It's a Single instance. 

SQL Question:   Do we absolutely need a separation 'Instance' just for Act! named \ACT7 ?   Or does that PAD file have a way to read and use the SQL default instance or a different named instance?  

And if we can indded use our SQL server, there's no way my DBA guy will allow us to install Act! client exe app on the Server.  No apps on the server.     

We're getting closer!   I really appreciate your help & comments.

Feel free to send a quote.   If we decide to update we'll 10 or less 4 user licenses.

The PAD file is a test pointer file. It's actually not needed because you can open the database directly with the ADF file but it will creat a new PAD file.

Yes you do need to ACT! instance of the SQL server because that defines the ACT! database. If your production SQL server is the standard version (not the express version) and you have ACT! Premium, you can manually create the ACT! instance based on SQL standard for the increased capacity and performance.

The ACT! database can now be extended beyond its basic structure through the addition of custom one-to-many tables. If you're interested in learning more about the capabilities of the ACT! program, give me a call.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129