Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Contact Layout

Tuned Listener

ACT Contact Layout

Hi,

I am using ACT 6.0. I made some changes to fields and sent it other users via sync. But when I see in other users I see some mismatch of name tag and the fields. When I checked in layout fields i noticed it has created some temp fields. Any idea why this and how it can be fixed?

Best Regards,

Lawrence

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT Contact Layout

Lawrence,

With version 6 you also must send them the layout as a seperate file this is not part of the synchronisation process.

Some questions that might help this further are:

a) Is you database the Master and if not you will find this causes great issues in version 6

b) Did all of the remotes have the same field structure before this change?

c) What do you mean by temp fields?

d) Did you lock the databases when you were doing the synchronisation so the field changes could be sent?

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Tuned Listener

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. Answer to your questions:

a) Is you database the Master and if not you will find this causes great issues in version 6

[Lawrence] - My database is not master. But I first sent it to master database by selecting "send definition fields" via sync. From Master database I sent it to another user again selecting "receieve defition fields" via sync only to this user. 

b) Did all of the remotes have the same field structure before this change?

[Lawrence] - I have done only for one user as a test but not all users. 

c) What do you mean by temp fields?

[Lawrence] In the define fields this is what the system has created - Temp 3_FYI 13 for one of the field. 

d) Did you lock the databases when you were doing the synchronisation so the field changes could be sent

[Lawrence] - No. Do we need to lock database. I am not aware of this. Pls explain further.

Best Regards,

Lawrence

Bronze Contributor

Lawrence,

I am sorry that you have done all this and now it looks as though you may have a database rebuild to resolve.

In version 6 you must create field changes in the master unless you want to see your database do exactly what yours has done and the only way to successfully fix the problem is to do a complete rebuild. Now you might say this is a little harsh but I spent 2.5 yrs teaching this to new consultants and while there are other methods to do the synchronisation once it is broken like yours there is no other method to resolve.

While I would like to help further I suggest you get out the yellow pages or look up on the net for a local consultant (one who has wworked with version 6) to come out and assist you before you get to a point where your data is corrupted.

By a complete rebuild all the data will need to be put back into a single master and then new remotes created.

In future if you are going to test I suggest never do it on a live system but rather create a test database might be a good idea.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.