Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 6.x - Sync with Hamachi possible?

ACT! 6.x - Sync with Hamachi possible?

Just a quick and simple question: is ACT! 6.0 compatible with Hamachi for use with remote synchronization?  Specifically, ACT! version 6.0.0.679.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 6.x - Sync with Hamachi possible?

ACT! 6.0 could use Shared Folders or Email... doesn't really matter if via VPN or not.

You should really update to 6.03

[ Edited ]

Ok.  The reason I ask is because I'm testing it right now and it doesn't seem to work.  Each computer's record has the following messages after each attempt at synchronizing through Hamachi:

"An error occurred while trying to copy the synchronization file to the shared folder."

"A synchronization packet could not be opened properly. It is possibly corrupted or the wrong version. It has been deleted."

Hamachi itself is working properly, and syncs also work properly when both computers are on the same physical network...they just won't work together.  Would updating to 6.03 perhaps solve this issue?

Message Edited by nonegrade on 05-11-2010 04:38 PM

Direct database sync wouldn't work. Shared folders sync with other users might work but it would be clumsy and I suspect that it would work only one way.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hmm, so is there any way that would work?

With all due respect, I think you are wasting your time with ACT! 6. ACT! 6 synchronization had problems and I doubt that what you are trying to do can be made to work reliably if at all. Synchronization in the later versions of the ACT! program is more reliable and does work via a Hamachi connection. I suggest that you consider upgrading to ACT! 2010.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

As I said originally... you need 6.03... there were improvements in handling shared folder sync via VPN

I would then merge all the remotes into the master, clean it and create a new sync process following the knowledge base article EXACTLY

Make sure you use Shared Folder or Email sync. You cannot use database-to-database sync with multiple remote... you will lose data.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info guys.

We've always used shared folders for syncing anyway, so that'll be fine.

Where would I find a v6.03 patch?  I found this article in the knowledge base, would that be the correct way to do it?

EDIT: I tried the update on a few computers and got "no internet connection" errors on all of them.  Is in-client updating no longer supported for versions this old?
Message Edited by nonegrade on 05-12-2010 02:28 PM

[ Edited ]

Ok, I jumped through the hoops to get into the Download Center, and found that the only update available was the ACT! 6.0.2 Update file.  Still looking for v6.0.3.

EDIT: Got it!  Just had to set my region to N/A and the proper version appeared.  Will try updating now!

Message Edited by nonegrade on 05-12-2010 02:40 PM