Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6 with Windows 7

ACT 6 with Windows 7

I finally figured out why ACT 6 stopped working after a Windows 7 update. I wasn't running ACT from an Administrator level User. When I switch to run from an Adminstrator User, ACT 6 installs/runs just fine (other than obvious Word/Macro limitations post XP). Didn't actually need the ACT 6 CD after all.

ACT still best contact management sofware I have used, and ACT 6 meets my needs. Too bad macros and Word won't work anymore, but otherwise contact management, history, notes, etc. meet my needs for personal use.

Re: ACT 6 with Windows 7

Hi GUys...

Hope someone can resolve this...

I was running ACT6 under XP and the harddrive crashed. Not being able (thank you MIcrosnort) to reinstall XP on a new harddrive, and having made backups of the ACT6  DBF file, I loaded Windows 7  32-bit on my fully-blown Pentium 4 (2 Gb memory, 2 Ghz, and 170 Gb PATA  hd) onto a new HD. I then loaded Act2000 followed by Act 6 (upgrade version), and the DBF is a substantial file (5600 + entries) and WIn 7 allowed it all to load and tries to access the DBF, but comes back and claims it is corrupted.... "Would you like to fix?" and I said Yes, and it bombs out... claims it can't open the file -- and I know these are perfectly good backups -- having reloaded them under XP once or twice (I even saved the other 10-12 files that appear to go with the DBF -- at least they have the same date/time stamp as the DBF.... Is one of them where pswds are kept?)

So when I set up the database I gave it Artistry8 as a filename and it took my user info (from setup) and gave me a record! So I went into the WIndows Explorer and found one of the good backups and renamed it Artistry8 ... you kow where I'm going, right? And I found where the original Artistry8 (with 1 record) was filed, and copied the 16,000 kb file ( that I renamed) into the Database file and said "Open it!"  BTW, I am the only user on this PC, but today I opened the ACT6  application from the dropdown list as Administrator....

Wow, it almost worked!  A dialog box opens with my name (Jay Bonham) as ID -- I never use my full name so where is that coming from?  ....and asks me for a password!?!?!?  (None of the passwords I have ever used with ACT6 works -- and I have the latest ID/pswd combo that should work on the 16,000 kb Artistry8 file.... but it doesn't. Now what?

SO how do I get around the pswd issue... Where is it getting a password that I have not set?... and What do I do now?

As the only user of the PC, doesn't that automatically make me also an Administrator?

(BTW, we are researching upgrading to a current version of ACT , but we dont need all the bells and whistles of the latest -- we just have it as a huge online rolodex. BUT you might also steer me in the right direction:  Which version of ACTnn will convert our file successfully...?. ... unlike the lady on another thread in this blog who tried to convert ACT6 db to ACT13 and it didn't work.... )

(BTW I am surprised that WIn7 actually installed legacy s/w!!!)

Re: ACT 6 with Windows 7

Just a brief reply -- to myself after 5 hours of mesing with the ACT6 s/w under WIn 7...

I did find some helpful ideas in another thread, but still had to hack my way thru permissions and ownership... and thus

finally got the file to open w/o a pswd --gave myself Admin rights...in 3 locations (!?)  and merged older 8,000 records Artistry file with that which was created during setup (had 1 record).... BUT dangnab it -- all the Notes and History were lost, and the dialog boxes for merging two files did not give the option to include them...!!

Guess I am lucky to be up and running. Wow, now I probably qualify as a senior troubleshooter  (not!) ...... But there's just one catch -- I haven't the wildest idea what I did -- I just iterated thru permissions, ownership and changing filenames until it worked. 

(I appreciate the many, overwhelming non-responses I got...) suffice it to say, ACT6 does load and run under WIn 7 -- it just takes a lot of repetitive hacking the permissions, ownership, AND I did not have to open ACT in Admin mode.... it doesn't even ask me for an ID nor a paswd now.... I guess I beat it into submission.... :-) 

Cheers