Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6 users - beware of what won't be the same after upgrading to ACT 2009

ACT 6 users - beware of what won't be the same after upgrading to ACT 2009

[ Edited ]

I have just gone through a very painful learning curve after updating to ACT 2009. I have been using ACT 6 for 6+ years. I won't discuss the 4 techies in the India based support centre and the Atlanta person (very nice and helpful I must add) I had to use to get the installation to work. 

My observations: If you want ACT 2009 to react fast when working with activities... forget it

If you want ACT 2009 to act fast if you have more than 10 activites in a day... forget it

If you want the calendar drop down when scheduling an activity to be readable and/or shown in 15 minute increments... forget it

It appears some of these issues are also carried over to ACT 2010.

My solution... I'm returning to my ACT 6 and eating the cost of the ACT 2009 software - it is useless for my needs. If I ever consider an upgrade again I will review ALL products competing with ACT as their 2009 & 2010 products do not seem to be of enough value when you take away some of the basics I am used to in ACT 6. 

p.s. Another item... previously cleared activities in ACT 6 may magically appear as uncleared in ACT 2009.

Message Edited by yourkard on 12-30-2009 10:18 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6 users - beware of what won't be the same after upgrading to ACT 2009

All the performance issue you mention are nearly always related to your system environment.

An ACC in Australia showed me last week an ACT! 2009 system with 200,000 contacts that opened and performed every function faster than ACT! 6  on the small demo database.

[ Edited ]

Every function? My main problem was the time the system took when setting up and/or rescheduling and/or deleting activities. If it's related to my system environment then the ACT technical support people need to know. I was told specifically that if I have >20 activities scheduled in a day I should expect performance issues and that I should move some of the activities to a different day.

ACT 6 doesn't make me modify my business activity to make it work. When a software package negatively impacts my day-to-day activities then the software becomes a liabaility and not an asset.  

Your reference to a 200K contacts system would be more relevant if your stated the hardware/RAM configuration. I have less than 5000 contacts and the length of time to get an activity based response was brutal. I have a hard time believing this.  [Comment edited: please post courteously]

I take it you agree with my other comments regarding ACT 2009 issues. 

Message Edited by ghollister on 12-30-2009 04:26 PM

To experience the problems you're reporting, you likely have a system that meets minimum specs rather than suggested specs. Given that you didn't post your system specs, I suspect that you realize that your main problem is hardware, not software. The specifications that I suggest are 1G RAM, a 7200 RPM hard drive and max the swap file settings. The processor speed is relatively minor and 2G RAM would help some but 1G RAM should be sufficient.

By the way, I have a client with over 200K contacts running on my suggested hardware and they don't have performance problems. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have to disagree. It is definitely software related. My ACT 6 and other software I use on my machine has no performance issues whatsoever. My PC more than exceeds the minimum requirements.

I realize that anyone that has not used ACT 6 may not relate to the issues I had with ACT 2009. Their "normal" response time is a relative term.

Getting down to RPMs on a hard drive seems like this thread has stretched as far as it can go. 

yourkard wrote:

Every function? My main problem was the time the system took when setting up and/or rescheduling and/or deleting activities. If it's related to my system environment then the ACT technical support people need to know. I was told specifically that if I have >20 activities scheduled in a day I should expect performance issues and that I should move some of the activities to a different day.

I'd question whoever told you that. It was true with ACT! 2005-2006. It's no-longer the case unless either the hardware is under-spec or the Windows operating system is not as clean as it should be

ACT 6 doesn't make me modify my business activity to make it work. When a software package negatively impacts my day-to-day activities then the software becomes a liabaility and not an asset.  

Your reference to a 200K contacts system would be more relevant if your stated the hardware/RAM configuration. I have less than 5000 contacts and the length of time to get an activity based response was brutal. I have a hard time believing this.  [Comment edited: please post courteously]

XP, 2GB RAM (with 3GB Page File), 10K RPM drive

I take it you agree with my other comments regarding ACT 2009 issues. 

No, I don't

yourkard wrote:

I have to disagree. It is definitely software related. My ACT 6 and other software I use on my machine has no performance issues whatsoever. My PC more than exceeds the minimum requirements.

I realize that anyone that has not used ACT 6 may not relate to the issues I had with ACT 2009. Their "normal" response time is a relative term.

Getting down to RPMs on a hard drive seems like this thread has stretched as far as it can go. 

Actually the disk drive RPM is MUCH more responsible for speed of the SQL database than the processor.

The ACT! program is an I/O bound program therefore disk drive speed is very important unlike graphics intensive programs that are compute bound programs. By the way, my first client for ACT! 2005 had a 10,000 contact database with several years of notes and history that was impossibly slow in ACT! 6. The speed problems went away with ACT! 2005 and saw further improvement when they upgraded to ACT! 2008.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
ogb
Tuned Listener

The bigger question is why would you upgrade to have fewer features, most notably of which are the reduced communications options. In ACT! 6 you can fax from within using WinFax without an add-on program to synch them with. In earlier versions you could click an icon and email a tempated document with Outlook Express with the contact's email address input.

ACT! 2009/2010 is just a database and nothing more!

Just for info - the WinFAX link was created by Symantec, not ACT!.

But as they no-longer develop WinFAX, they never updated the links for the later versions of ACT!