Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6 mapping

ACT 6 mapping

My hard drive crashed and in the process of reinstalling my data on Act 6 I don't seem to be able to get contacts email address and notes to map properly. I've been able to successfully map information from other fields. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6 mapping

Hi Mike,

I am importing my act data (a dbf database file) into ACT 6. After my drive crashed I had to install a new hard drive, and then reinstall ACT 6. When I went to import the data from my backup, the ACT program asks you to move the data into the correct fields. I have been able to do this successfully with the exception that my notes/history didn't seem to import, and I wasn't able to get my contacts email address's into their fields.

Any help greatly appreciated!

If you have the complete database, you should be able to simply open the database. It sounds like you may only have the DBF file which only includes the name and address information. Unless you have all 26 database files, you won't have the notes and history information.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I do believe I have the complete database. Beside DBF, I have files with other extensions: from .abc to .tbx alphabetically. But ACT only seems to open the dbf file. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

The most critical file extensions are DBF, HDB, EDB, BLB. Any extension that ends in x is an index file and does not contain data.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

After I restored and opened the dbf file and found there was info missing, I then I went back and tried to open those files (hdb, etc.) individually. I receive a message saying failed to open document. Am I doing something wrong? When you go to open a file type default tab is set to .dbf. There is no specific setting for HDB, EDB, or BLB. When I attempt to open them using the any files tab, then I get the "failed to open document" message.

Thanks
Dave

I also notice that I have an act6 demo database which came with the product. All I have to do is open its dbf database and I get notes, history, and other info.

The ACT! 6 database was a set of 26 interconnected files. While all 26 are not required to be able to open the database, things like the index files can be created by the ACT! program, there are critical files that are needed to open the database. My assumption is that you are missing some of those files or you have a corrupted file, most likely either the DDF or BLB file.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129