Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6 import into Act 2011 - Value cannot be null error...

ACT 6 import into Act 2011 - Value cannot be null error...

Hi all,

I'm having fits trying to get my old Act6 database imported into Act 2011. I keep getting the "The conversion has been halted with the following message: value cannot be null".  Yes, I have tried everything including;

1) Increased the timeouts - no luck. 2) Ran a database repair on the old database - I get a bunch of  'SDB record 0 returned an error #6" error when running the repair. 3) Created a blank Act 6 database and imported the problem database into it - took 3 hours - then ran the repair again - no errors, however the import fails again with the same 'null' error.

The errors always seem to happen when either the import (or the repair) get to the notes/history part - so i'm guessing i have some corruption in that part of the database? Are there ANY tools out there besides ACTDIAG that would allow me to fix a corrupt Act 6 database? Any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Steve V.

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 6 import into Act 2011 - Value cannot be null error...

I have found 2 solutions: Get Red Flags from Cornerstone Solutions (www.cornerstonesolutions.com) and run it against that v6 database. It will tell you what is wrong and let you fix it.

2nd choice would be to run ACTDIAG on the v6 database several times until all the checkmarks are green.Next download and install a prior version of ACT (2009 or 2010) and upgrade the v6 database. If that works, reinstall 2011 and upgrade the database to 2011. As a warning, if you do this option on the same machine you already have 2011 installed, you will have to uninstall 2011 and SQL 2008 first.

David C. Ayers
Ayers Technology Corp.
dayers@ayerstechnology.com
512-251-7313 office
www.ayerstechnology.com

Re: ACT 6 import into Act 2011 - Value cannot be null error...

Thanks David - I'll give the cornerstone software a shot. Option #2 probably won't work as i consistantly get errors when running ACTDIAG on this database...