Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6 - Maximum Record Count

Copper Contributor

ACT 6 - Maximum Record Count

Does anybody have a document (or at least know) what is considered too many records in an ACT 6 database?  I've been told for example that 10K contact records is the sweet spot and anything over that and your asking for trouble.  But what about the number of Notes/History, Activity, Group, Emails and Opportunity records?  And what about Index files sizes?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6 - Maximum Record Count

The most quoted figure was 50,000 records but that fails to mention that everything in ACT! 6 is a record: every contact, group, note, history, activity, etc. What I do know is that the ACT! 6 database performance declined as the TOTAL number of records increased. In fact, I had a client tha had about 10,000 record in their database but they made notes and history on everything and they had 7-years of notes and history and wouldn't archive the old notes and history and purge the older notes out of the database. They had literally brought ACT! 6 to its knees. If they had the notes/history tab open it could take 10 to 15 seconds to move from one contact the the next. So how many is too many, when the performance suffers it's too many.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have run an ACT!6 database with over 100K contacts...

The three biggest things that determine where performance will start to drop is: number of activities (cleared and uncleared), number of Groups and the total hardware capabilities.

Copper Contributor

Thank you Roy for your input. 
Copper Contributor

Mike, thanks for your reply.  100K contacts?  Geez, thats a lot for ACT 6.

bandinelli wrote:
Mike, thanks for your reply.  100K contacts?  Geez, thats a lot for ACT 6.

Depends on the hardware you have and how good you are at optimising the network.