Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6 Development

Silver Super Contributor

ACT 6 Development

Being bored during lock down I have amused myself with playing with ACT6 and have now got it working with Office 2007 but think the changed I have made with some amendments will let me use ACT6 with office versions up to and including Office 2013.

I would like to try to expand the internal structure code of ACT6 to take one more table for companies and it seems that replicating the groups as companies is the best way forward. 

So to my question, do you know what version of Foxpro ACT used for ACT6 and has anyone else tried altering the table structure.

I did get access to work with ACT whereby the ACT DBF file became a table in an Access relational database for a client a long time ago but now want to see if I can build more into the internal ACT structure.

Any tips etc from anyone?

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 6 Development

Hi Ch1p,

I believe the last driver I successfully used to connect Microsoft Access to an ACT! 6.0 database would have been FoxPro 2.6.

While your plan to make Groups perform like Companies does in later versions of act! makes sense, I think you will quickly run

into some limitations. Is there any reason you are staying with ACT! 6.0 rather than moving to later SQL versions of act! ?

Kind Regards
Duane

Duane Morrison Smith
ACT Mobile Messenger

+61 (0417) 498 635
duane@actmobilemessenger.com
www.actmobilemessenger.com

Duane Morrison Smith
ACT Mobile Messenger

+61 (0417) 498 635
Silver Super Contributor

Hi Duane

Many thanks for you reply and info on Foxpro.

I look after some ACT clients in the UK and they have SQL version but one came to me recently and to my surprise  they are still running 34 users in ACT6 and it still meets their needs but they asked me if it could be developed further. I gave them the price for moving to ACT V22 and the MD nearly fainted and said no thank you.

Got me wondering what could be done with ACT6 and as I am used to relational database building in Access and SQL  thought I would take a look. By looking at the ACT 603 update and what changes it made it was not too difficult to get it to link to more recent Office programs so the next project was to look at the internal database structure. Not doing this as for profit exercise but more out of interest.

Thanks again for you input.

Chip 

Copper Contributor

Hi Chip,

Sounds like a labour of love. Smiley Happy

Do you still have an installer for ACT! V6.0? I think you should still be able to do what you're setting out to do.

I am just not sure from memory whether you can extend the tables and add them the the Layout Designer?

Kind Regards

Duane

Duane Morrison Smith
ACT Mobile Messenger

+61 (0417) 498 635
Duane Morrison Smith
ACT Mobile Messenger

+61 (0417) 498 635
Silver Super Contributor

Hi Duane

Now disassembled and opened in VB, way to much work to add the new table but compatibility changes more easy. 

Will let you know how I get on.