Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 6 - Custom layout fields - Attachments

ACT! 6 - Custom layout fields - Attachments

Hi all,

Basically I'm redesigning our current database layout. I'm looking at having an attachment field so users can enter the full* file path and the file will open upon clicking the link. Eg if a user sends a quotation or letter, they can paste in the full* file name and click on the link to open it. Obviously the link would be updated by the user as different versions of the file become available. Is this possible?

* I say "full file path" but if it would be possible to predefine a fixed directory and then the user just enters, say, the FILE NAME then that would be even better.

Cheers in advance,

Dale.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 6 - Custom layout fields - Attachments

It would be possible with ACT! 6 using the macro capability. I know I wrote an article about something similar about 10-years ago but I would have to research how I did it because I don't remember the specifics.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy

10 years ago.... going back abit eh! haha. If you could provide me with any resources/links/code snippets then I would be really grateful. I've searched everywhere possible and still not found the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Dale.

If only one file per contact, maybe a URL (web) field and put file://d:\path\file.ext

The main issue I need to overcome is that 99% of the end users wouldn't be able to locate the file or know it's extension . That's why I queried if it would be possible to put just the file name (they would know that when saving it).

If this doesn't seem possible, then would it be possible to link to an item that's been saved in the history list.

Thanks,

Dale.

That was the first thing I checked Smiley Wink

But that's not what I need to know. It's not about how to attach a file (the standard way). It's how to link to an attached file. I'm trying to do it through the use of a URL field, but trying to make it as simple as possible.

But is there any way of doing it without 'linking/attaching' through the normal way? I'm trying to do it through a field in the layout itself.

Only by the way I indicated in my first post unless you want to get a programmer to automate it