Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6! Crashing

ACT 6! Crashing

I have a client with a new Dell Computer with Windows XP Pro SP3.

I just installed their old version of Act 6.03 on the computer.  It installs without a hitch, and I can open the program fine.  The problem is when I go to open up a database, whether it be an old one or a demo, the program will just start to open it and then it will come up with an error "an unknown error has occurred and caused ACT to shutdown"

I have attempted to reinstall, but the same thing occurs. I try to create a new database and when I go to Finish it, the program hangs.

Any thoughts or insight?  Act support is non existant for this version, and google is fruitless with the problem search.  Knowledge base does not have any matches I could find.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6! Crashing

That may be a conflict with another program, most likely your antivirus program, or a flawed install of ACT! 6. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yeah, I have tried reinstalling the ACT without the antivirus turned on, and still no go. Same issue.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Since we no longer ACT 6.0, it is difficult to say what may be causing this error.  But, it's a possiblilty that it may be that the program is incompatible with SP3.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have used Act 6 for 3 years - never a problem!  TODAY when I tried to get into my major lead  database - I get message "an unknown error has occured Act to shut down. You will loose any unsaved data. & it closes ACT.  I can get into other databases fine.  I'm DESPARATE - I'm going to lose my job - please can someone help!

I found your message today from your posting in 8/08 regarding your receiving "An unknown error has cause ACT 6.0 to shut down. You will lose any unsaved data" and, the same thing happened to me today............ and it happened with MY MOST IMPORTANT CUSTOMER DATABASE also.

Did you ever find an answer?  This is my first time to this ACT Community Forum website and I can't find where answers are posted.

Please let me know if you found a solution.  I am absolutely desparate to get back into this database.

Thank you,

Blake

blake_leis@theleisgroup.com

[ Edited ]

I found the solution to this problem on ACT's website.  I have copied the quick answer below, but if you want to read everything about the problem / solution then you can follow the two strings I've cut/pasted below the quick answer.

Back up the database.
  1. Exit ACT!.
  2. Right-click the Windows Start button, and then click Explore on the shortcut menu. Windows Explorer launches.
  3. Navigate to the folder the database is stored in (by default this is C:\...My Documents\ACT\Database). Click the database folder in the left pane, so that the files that make up each database appear in the right pane.
  4. Locate the database file with the .abc extensions (for example, if the database is named ACT6Demo, the files will be named ACT6Demo.abc).
  5. Right-click the .abc file, and then click Delete on the shortcut menu.
  6. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 for the .abu file (for example, ACT6Demo.abu).
  7. Exit Windows Explorer.
  8. Launch ACT!, and open the database with the issue. ACT! will rebuild the .abc and .abu files automatically. It may take a bit longer than typical to open the database as this process completes.

Error "An Unknown Error has Caused ACT! to Shut Down. You Will Lose any Unsaved Data" While Working ...

and

What Are the .ABC and ABU Files for ACT! 6.0 Databases?

Content edit.  Fixed links.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 12-19-2008 09:06 AM

Hi BlakeLeis

I have the similar problem. I can open ACT6 fine, but when I try and open a database in ACT, the following error message displays: "An unknown error has caused ACT! to shut down. You will lose any unsaved data.". Then ACT exits.

Thanks for the response, BlakeLeis. I tried your instructions, and the .abc and .abu files were recreated as you suggested but the problem still exist.

Do you (or anyone else) have any further suggestions?

Thanks

Alvin