Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 on Windows 7

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 6.0 on Windows 7

I just got a new Windows 7 machine (love it!). I tried installing ACT 6.0 on it, but it's balking and telling me "The program or feature "\??\ESmiley FrustratedETUP.EXE" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to aske if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available." (E: is my CD drive). I'm not sure why this is happening. Other "old" software from the early 2000s installed just fine in the x86 program files directory on my machine.

Any ideas?

Greg

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 on Windows 7

I've seen claims the some people installed ACT! 6 on Windows 7 in XP compatible mode. To convert the ACT! 6 database to ACT! 2005 and later, simple open the database using the Files of Type option for DBF.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Many older applications won't run on Windows 7 x32. Even more won't run on Windows 7 x64

Some people seem to have got it working, most I've heard from haven't.

It's possible it depends on the version of setup.exe... this was changed with 6.03 CD... but that's a guess and I have nothing to back that up.

Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. The next question is: do you know of ANY way to migrate that dB over to Act 11? My Act 11 won't read the Act 6 dB and, as you might suspect, there is no "save for Act 11" in v6 :-)  

Greg

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I've seen claims the some people installed ACT! 6 on Windows 7 in XP compatible mode. To convert the ACT! 6 database to ACT! 2005 and later, simple open the database using the Files of Type option for DBF.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yeah, that's is. I can't believe I didn't see that before. Thanks! I'm all set now.

Greg

Re: ACT 6.0 on Windows 7 potential workaround

This worked for me to get Act! v6 installed on Win7 Pro 32 bit. Normal install was generating error message;

ComponentMoveData had the following error:

MediaNam: data

Component: BinBoot\Always Overrite

FileGroup: ActBin1

File: c:\programfiles\act\Vredir.txt

ErrorNumber: -115

Specifed file cannot be opened as write.

Changing file permissions did nothing to help. In desperaton, booted in safe mode and install worked fine. Program seems to run fine at this time.

Worth a try if you are having problems completing the install routine.

I am running ACT 6.0 on windows 7 very succesfully. Go to the help on the start menu and search for XP mode. The instructions are very clear and accurate

I have installed both ACT 2000 and ACT 6.0 and they work perfectly. One hint when you install Act in the Windows Virtual XP Mode in the end be ready to install your printer so you can print the registration form. That is necesarry to use the program. XP virtual is like having anther operatring system on your pc that runs 32 bit programs. You wont be able to print in the XP mode until you install the print drvers in the XP mode.

Good Luck! 

I found that this didn't work any better (Win 7 Safe Mode). Still would'nt install on cd autoplay. However, got me looking around the cd. Appears the setup file in the root cd directory that autoplay runs is a 16bit installer. Under the ACT6 folder on the same cd, the setup program found there is shown as a 32bit installer. Double clicked this file (while in Win 7 regular mode) and the installation went off without a hitch. Program is running just fine. Thanks for getting me thinking.....

Thanks Woody120

I did as you said and it worked fin.  " Under the ACT6 folder on the same cd, the setup program found there is shown as a 32bit installer. Double clicked this file (while in Win 7 regular mode) and the installation went off without a hitch. Program is running just fine. Thanks .....

I am running my ACT on my new Windows 7 64bit Home Premium machine, right click on the install cd or .exe file and then select Troubleshoot Comp, allow it to select WXP Pro SP2 mode or manually pick.

Another option that will work is to use Parallels Desktop and and load Window XP. I did this for awhile and decided I did not want to speed the money to buy another copy of Parallels. I used it on my Mac  to run XP and ACT worked great. Till some bum stole my MAC.