Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 for windows what are the names/file extensions to look for in a backup of a hard drive?

ACT 6.0 for windows what are the names/file extensions to look for in a backup of a hard drive?

My dad's pc had windows xp sp3 32 bit with ACT 6.0 running on it. I copied the whole hard drive to idrive.com for backup.

I then installed WIN 7 pro 32 bit on the computer.  I reinstalled ACT 6.0 on the computer What are the directories and file names and extentions I need to copy back onto the computer? Also do I need to import the database since this is a "fresh" install of ACT 6.0?

Once the database is up and running I would like to update to v16 but not until I can make sure it is working properly under ACT 6.0

Please advise,

mike

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 for windows what are the names/file extensions to look for in a backup of a hard drive?

For Act 6 there are a few files involved, maybe 10 to 20 of them, mostly harmless.    The main file is ACT6demo.DBF , where ACT6demo is whatever you named your Act database to be, such as MyContacts.DBF.     No 'import' necessary, you should be able to simply copy over the files to you dad's new PC and point to them from the new ACT! 6 installation.  Maybe see Edit | Preferences | General | Default Locations | File Type: Database. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 for windows what are the names/file extensions to look for in a backup of a hard drive?

The DBF file only contains the basic name and address information for the contacts. Those 'harmless' files you referred to contain the note, history and activity information, you need all the files with your database name. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Agreed, the OP should copy ALL of those files.  The DBF file is the main one, IMHO, it's a Dbase database format from a company called Ashton-Tate.  Date'ing myself again.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Actually the database engine was called codebase. dBase was one variant and Foxpro was another. ACT! 6 was closer to Foxpro than dBase thought it was really proprietary in design. ACT! 2005 and later use Microsoft SQL for the database and it's much more stable than the ACT! 3-6 database. Database repair was a real source of revenue for techsupport in the ACT! 3-6 days

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129